Colt Forum banner
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  andyinlz 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking from a gun dealer or expert in Florida who can help me appraise and sell a damascus 1883 hammerless in excellent condition. I also have a 38 detective special 1926 that also would like to sell. Anyone in Florida that could help would be much appreciated. I want to give these great guns a home where they can be restored to pristine condition and where they are appreciated for the craftsmanship and American history of a Colt. Respond to this or email me directly at Rob@abeachin.com or text at 818-674-7947

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
While not in FL, I have the earlier model of the shotgun with external hammers (the 1878).

First, I would be extremely hesitant to "refinish" the gun. It shows its age well and will only be diminished in value by refinishing

Next, it is extremely difficult to find anyone who is both willing to work on the barrels and competent to do so. These craftsmen are few and far between, and charge accordingly.

Last, most are reluctant to shoot the Damascus barrels--even with BP handloads--as flaws are difficult to find and catastrophic when experienced.

All of these issues conspire to hold down the value of all but the most spectacular original condition examples of these shotguns. While yours has a modicum of engraving, it won't go for too much more than a Plain Jane version.....maybe $700 to $900.

So, enjoy this for the work of art it is---place it on a mantel and admire it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.