Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I acquired this 1851 Navy about a year ago and I'd really like your input! I have vast modern firearms knowledge, but going back I get lost somewhere around WWII...so I need your help!! Let me know what you think. It looks like the trigger guard has been replaced (you'll notice the non matching serials) and there is currently a more modern cylinder in the gun, though the original is included. The lockup and timing is good with the newer cylinder, not so much with the original. The bore shows light pitting but overall decent shape. What would you say something like this is worth? Year of manufacture (I've turned up 1854 for the gun and 1863 for the trigger guard...no? yes?)? Any other information would be helpful. I'm a newbie here on the forum and I thought this would be a great way to get acquainted (and learn a few things as well)! :)

Here are all the pictures:
Colt 1851 Navy London Photos by gmawright88 | Photobucket

Attachments

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Case is Modern.

Is the beat up Cylinder serialed to the Revolver? ( I do not remember if they were on these ).

The Revolver looks very nice...seems odd the Cylinder would be so full of dents and so on, so worn...makes me wonder if it really belongs to or with this Revolver.

Lovely old Colt!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Beat up cylinder? Looks like scene to my weary old eyes - good scene.
Just a guess of course but maybe someone put a modern cylinder in it for shooting and had to alter the hand a mite - hence original out of timing?? Well worth getting it fixed if matching number cylinder.
Looks good with faded case colours and good blue remaining. If original finish it would be worth $2500 up here (probably much less in America) even with the mismatched trigger guard. London Colts are preferred by most local collectors for historical reasons.
The accessories are probably modern also but with the case would add a couple hundred to it.

Edit: in answer to Oyeboten's question, close up Photobucket pics show the cylinder is numbered to the gun.

·
Registered
552 Posts
From what I can tell, the case, powder flask and bullet mold are modern American replicas and not worth too much. In addition, the flask is entirely wrong for a cased London '51. A bag type flask is the proper one for a cased London revolver.
The condition of the pistol, even with both cylinders, dictates a price of no more that $1500.00, less if the gun is a Hartford London which is a possibility considering the date you placed on the gun. The modern case and replica accoutrements are not worth more than $250.00 total.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
DSC00371_zps28fd58f3.jpg Photo by gmawright88 | Photobucket

Looks like a lot of Dents to me. No visible Scene.

Numbers seen on this Cylinder, do match those seen on the Gun, and this looks like an old Cylinder, anyway, if with new Nipples.

The Cylinder which is mounted in the Gun, looks like a Modern, no 'Scene', in-the-white, replacement, and, I see no image showing it to have any Numbers nor any which match those seen on the Revolver.

Is there an image I am missing?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Could you post pictures of the barrel address, the grid pattern on the hammer and a picture of the frame screws (to see if their heads are flat or domed)? That would let us know whether you have a London/London or a Hartford/London. This info is important because the value of your gun is dependent upon it.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
This revolver appears to be made up from two separate pistols. The barrel, frame and cylinder (the one loose in the box) look like they are from a 'Hartford-London' model. The serial number on these parts is close enough to the Swayze 38000-43000 (Rosa uses 37500-42000) range for these pistols. The numbers themselves are the larger American style. The barrel address is typical Hartford-London with dashes at each end rather than the London-London spears. The punctuation marks also bear this out. The loading notch is the bevelled Hartford-London type rather than the v-notch of the London-London pistols. 'COLTS PATENT' marking is closer to the front of the frame than the London-London versions. The screw heads that we can see appear to be the American flat style as against the high dome British examples. Although it is difficult to clearly make out, there does not appear to be a box on the cylinder for the Ormsby signature - present on all London-London models.
The brass trigger guard, and I assume matching numbered back strap, are from a later pistol and the wood grips look like the fatter Hartford style whereas the London stocks were slimmer. The barrel and frame look to have been refinished.
Value for a mixed parts pistol is difficult to pin down. If it were mine I would put the original cylinder back in the gun and sell the rest of the modern stuff on ebay. :D

Rio

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with Rio. This is an early "Hartford-London" with a replaced trigger guard. The original trigger guard/backstrap would have been iron.
I believe Rosa's estimate is correct......I happen to have # 37785 which has the same address and proof marks, but has an iron trigger guard & back strap.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Tony, you dont want that daggy old Navy - you should sell it to me. I already got your Frontier remember?
and ive got the full written history of the gun when it was purchased new in england and a photo,of me sitting with the great grandson,that was the last of the line,to finnally hand it over to me .that was about 30yrs ago.it cost me 550 and a bottle of rum.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Guys, I don't want to Hi-Jack a thread, but I have a similar Hartford London revolver. Does mine go along with your description above? The serial number is 41678, has the steel backstrap, all matching except the wedge which is a period replacement and a cylinder scene (worn but visible). What is the short hitory on these revolvers? It came in the holster in the attached photos.

Thanks for any information!

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
552 Posts
Anyone who own's an M1851 Colt Navy would do well to obtain a copy of "'51 Navies" by Nathan L. Swayze, published by The Gun Room Press in N.J. This book will answer all of your questions. It shows up on e-Bay regularly at reasonable prices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys I just discovered that you were responding!! I didn't get any emails (gotta figure this out) when you guys were replying, so I figured the thread was dead..

I'm thinking about selling it.. anyone interested? I will post the requested pictures..

I am new to the forum but I'm not new to buying/selling guns. If someone is serious I'm happy to talk to them on the phone and send them any pictures or videos they'd like..

Any additional info about this gun would be helpful! I've also got some other cool stuff to sell soon (going to be traveling and can't take all the toys with me)...

Thanks again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.