Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my earliest memories my father had this Colt(?) ".32 Police CTG revolver." He died a few years back and I got the revolver.

The grips are Mother of Pearl (very heavy and definitely not plastic) and there are no manufacturing marks anywhere that I can find.
The design is definitely Colt but that was often copied - sometimes legally and sometimes not.

There is a serial number under the crane. It is 159702. Centered under the number is the letter "Y."

If you have any ideas where this was made or when it was made, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I know my dad had it from the mid 1950's (my earliest recall) and rumor was, a nefarious relative (this was on the South Side of Chicago and my family had quite few disreputable members) gave it to him around or before that time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Im gonna guess it is a police positive from 1924, reblued with part of the barrel chopped off, the rest of the "positive" rollmark buffed out leaving behind the .32 Police CTG. I could be wrong, so wait and see what someone more knowledgeable says.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bowhunter,

Your guess is as good as mine.

Due to the lack of manufacturing marks, my first guess was this this was one of the South American rip-off's of a Colt's Police Positive. I've heard there were a bunch of these that ignored the US patents.

One added note -- I fired it one time using some very old ammo my dad left behind - he was definitely NOT a gun guy. There was 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long. Neither could hit anything at even minimal distance.

I shoot a lot (NRA Pistol, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, etc.), but this caliber and this gun is way over my job classification.

Obviously, it has much sentimental value to me and knowing my family's questionable legal history, anything is possible.

Acrobat

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,679 Posts
On Colt's, the only identifying marks are on the barrel, and the Colt Pony on the left side of the frame, on the side plate.

From the looks, I'd say it's a pre-war Police Positive, with a shortened barrel, a replacement front sight, and a heavy buff re-blue job that polished off the Colt Pony.

As you can see, especially on the left side, there is clear evidence of very heavy buffing. The frame on the lower surfaces around and just behind the trigger guard shows heavy rounding of sharp edges.

From the looks of the frame under the grips, it's no where near rough enough to be a Spanish or South American counterfeit, and the serial number does indicate a 20's Police Positive.

Over the years, I've seen a fair number of older Colt's that had re-barrel jobs or barrel cut jobs that altered or eliminated the barrel stamps, and polish jobs that removed the Pony and other Colt stamps like the "Verified Proof" stamp on the left front trigger guard.

Interesting old gun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks dfariswheel,

I think you and bowhunter got it right.

There is a small dash barely visible in from of the "".32 Police CTG" on the barrel. Everything else is buffed clean.

Can anyone tell me what the correct cartridge is for this gun? The 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long gave terrible results and someone mentioned to me that it was not the correct cartridge for this revolver. Of course, the poor results could also have been from the cut barrel.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
acrobat,that is the correct ammo for that gun,but I suspect that when the barrel of that old Police Positive was cut off,the gunsmith(?) might not have "crowned" the muzzle of the barrel,or done it correctly.

I would also check the alignment of the front sight blade in relation to the rear sight groove,especially if the gun always shoots to the left or right.

Bud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I fired it a couple years ago it was scattering shots all over the target. At Lonewolf's suggestion I examined the crown and it's terrible - a bit egg shaped and deeper into the bore on one side than the other.

Since it was never going to a gun I'd use in competition, I'll leave it alone and enjoy if for it's sentimental value.

Thanks for pics, Bowhunter. It's nice to see what it started out as. Unfortunately, they also makes want one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts