Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son was left a single action revolver from a will. he wants to know if it has value. It says 1871 on side and it looks like all serial numbers match. the serial numbers are in 3 spots are there any more places to look? The man that had it, had it in graved. was engraved by jeff flannery engraving

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: HELP:my son was left a colt single action revo

1871 would be the patent date. Although the serial numbers apparently appeared additional places in early production, on the bottom of frame, bottom of buttstrap and triggerguard strap are the three locations that were standard on most of the production according to the The Book of Colt Firearms, which is my reference on this since I am not an off-the-top-of-the -head expert. Value is a difficult determination, being dependent on model / configuration, originality and very much on condition. More information and pictures would be required to give an idea, and it wouldn't be done by me. The actual serial or a part of it would help in sorting it down initially. Depending on what you provide, some might advise a professional opinion if it appears to possibly have exceptional value. And welcome to the forum. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ser. # 293xxx can i get a mfg year with the 292 number? thank you

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

OK, does it have PAT. SEPT. 19, 1871 on one line and JULY 2, 72, JAN 19, 75 on the next? That would seem to be the marking configuration for that serial number range (293xxx) and date it to 1907, if I am correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i called him and he said yes. if in great shape is there a value? he said it has been engraved.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

That would be called by the Blue Book an Early Smokeless Powder SAA based on the serial. Originality and condition are very important and may require a letter from Colt and/or professional appraisal. Some on the forum would give a recommendation where to start on that, but I am not familiar enough except that letters can be obtained from the Colt archive dept for a fee that would attest to the configuration that left the factory. Engraving brings up a whole other issue as it depends on the "status" of the engraver etc., especially when it is not factory engraving. I am fast running out of ability to help further, but FWIW, Blue Book values on that model unengraved run from $2000 for a 10% gun to $15,000 for a 98% gun. There is a premium for original checkered walnut grips without medallions and an original box. Someone else will have to pick it up from here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Not knowing anything about your firearms experience, I would also add a recommendation that he not do anything to the gun except for possibly wiping down gently with a good gun oil until condition and value can be better determined. Less is best and NO WD-40. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
420 Posts

Good morning. I would agree it would be a good idea to get the COLT Historian letter for the Colt. To get the letter you need to call the Historian, Beverly Haines,at 1-800-962-2658,ext.1343. If you want to do it by phone it is $150. She needs the serial number, and the caliber of the revolver. The letter will give you the date it was shipped and where to, as well as how many guns were shipped with yours. It will include the serial number of the revolver, the original barrell length and finish. I have 2 SAA revolvers and just recently obtained the letters. It was interesting that one was shipped to Montgomery Wards in Chicago in 1890, and the other to a hardware store in St.Joseph, Missouri in 1906. I agree with the other member with that serial number the revolver was manufactured in 1907. Several colt books and a website have the dates of manufacture by serial number. By the way, Beverly is a very nice person and will give you as much information by phone as she can. She will call you if you want with the letter information before the letter is sent out. If you don't do it by phone it will take several months to get the letter. Hope this was helpful. Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts