Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me a complete slide and all the interior/exterior parts for a Colt Commander. The only thing I need is a frame/receiver and I can add another gun to my collection.

Does anybody know where I can get one?

Thanks,

John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Finding a genuine Colt frame that's NOT assembled is going to be real tough.
In the rare occasion a Colt frame is found, it's immediately assembled into a working gun, so you don't see them very often.

If you want a shooter, Brownell's Gunsmith Supply sell a variety of "raw" frames. That is, new non-Colt frames used to build up guns.
These range from "drop in" ready to use frames to match grade frames that require a good gunsmith to fit them.

Many people use the "Essex" brand frame for non-match build ups.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You can get steel and stainless steel Commander frames from Essex or Caspian. New Essex frames are pretty good, but Caspian is still a step above. These are cast steel frames, but don't let that stop you. A well made casting is durable, if you don't think so, how many Browning High Powers do you see with broken frames? All Rugers use cast frames as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information. I'm in no rush & we have two gun shows coming up this month, so I'll be looking at them.

I've checked the Essex site and they do have what I'm looking for,

John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts