Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm wondering if someone can refresh my memory on how Colt marks the revolvers they've restored or reblued.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I know the older ones had an amperstand-this mark (&) usually on the back bow of the trigger guard,left side.

Also some marks under the stocks on the grip frame.

Bud

·
Registered
576 Posts
I asked this question, too, a while back. In addition to the ampersand, Coltdaguy noted that a star or astrisk was used in a similar position -- to the rear of the trigger guard, to indicate factory rework.

This star is different from the star that appears on the front face of post-1936 cylinders. This latter star may mean special heat treatment for 357s, or it may just mean post-1936. Jury is still out on that, insofar as I know.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a very fine Factory "Redone" PPS, has ampersand (&) on left rear trigger bow. Did Colt keep records on the customer reworks. How do you find out who the reworking was requested by?? Simular to Colt letter?? Thanks Henri

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a .41, 1890, SAA, that has been reblued. It has a star or astrisk as well as an O on the cylinder. Would that denote a Colt reblue?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Bisley06, I do not know the answer to your question, but would like to ask you my own.

Where is the star on the cylinder located?

I ask because in Bob Murphy’s book on New Service’s he commented that 357 Magnum New Services have a star on the front of the cylinder that is thought to indicate special heat treatment. Another member here commented that he believes based on his experience and observation that all prewar, post-1936 Colts have this star on the front of the cylinder. Now you note that you have a 1890 SAA with one… I am getting curious!

Can anyone post pix of these stars? I'll be able to late this month, I think, for a 357 NS.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Onomea, the markings are very small. I wish I could find my magnifying glass as my eyes are not as good as they use to be. I can see three markings on the cylinder, somewhat in the middle, more toward the front. It does look like a star, then another marking in front of it moving downward, the a definite O, lower on the cylinder than the middle mark. I wish I could take a picture, but it would take a good camera which I don't have. Hope this helps. Rick

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Onomea,a minty 1943 O.P. with the 6" Heavy Barrel does NOT have any markings on cylinder.,so I don't think the "1936-end of war" holds water.

bisley-keep in mind that Colt,"on and off"(too busy with yard work right now to dig out some reference works),marked 3 digits of the serial number on SAA cylinders. Can't recall the years.

Only "star" I have,is on 2 Colt New Service .357 Magnum cylinders. Neither is original to their current revolver. 1 is on a .38 Special 6" and the other on a 1915 British .455,that was converted in the 1950's using "extra N.S. parts" found in Hartford,probably retailed through Hudson or Strebe(read the prices in some 50's-60's Am. Rifleman!). Needless to say the latter piece has never seen a round(handload) exceeding 1000 fps.That frame and top strap are 90 years old!

Bud

·
Registered
689 Posts
Can anyone post a pic referencing the refinish mark(s)???

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
I hope this is visible:

This is a five pointed star stamped on the face of the cylinder of a 1941 O.P.

I also have this mark on the following guns:
1941 P.P.
1939 O.M. .22
1941 O.M. .38
1939 Pocket Positive
1937 Bankers Special
1936 P.P. Target
1939 P.P.S.
1940 O.P.

Does it denote special heat treatment? Beats me. Is it used only on .357 cylinders? Obviously not. Was it used on every Colt DA from 1936 to WWII? Nope. Is it a refinish mark? Nope, both of these OM's are mint in the box.

Just clouding the waters...

B.W.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great pix there, Bushwhacker. Thanks! Your starred guns go from 1936 to 1941. Bud’s 1943 OP does not have it.

1) Does anyone out there have starred cylinders which pre-or postdate those years?

2) Does anyone have Colts from within those years, 1936 – 1941, that DO NOT have the star? (I have a 1939 OMT, but can’t get my hands on it to check until this weekend.)

Seems to me that Bushwhacker’s guns are pretty convincing evidence that the star was not exclusive to the .357, so I think Bob Murphy’s hypothesis (and he does say it is only one theory) is incorrect.

Maybe somebody could give the Colt historian a call and ask?

·
Registered
33 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Great pix there, Bushwhacker. Thanks! Your starred guns go from 1936 to 1941. Bud’s 1943 OP does not have it.

1) Does anyone out there have starred cylinders which pre-or postdate those years?

2) Does anyone have Colts from within those years, 1936 – 1941, that DO NOT have the star? (I have a 1939 OMT, but can’t get my hands on it to check until this weekend.)

Seems to me that Bushwhacker’s guns are pretty convincing evidence that the star was not exclusive to the .357, so I think Bob Murphy’s hypothesis (and he does say it is only one theory) is incorrect.

Maybe somebody could give the Colt historian a call and ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 1943 Officers Model .22 has the star, and also the number 9.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have a New Service revolver w/ the following marks-
& on the right rear bow of the trigger guard
689 B on the front of the cylinder,on the underside
of the barrel and on the frame under the left grip.
H on the rear cylinder face and on the frame above the
serial number 178740.
The frame is a US marked 1917 frame w/ lanyard ring and inspector's mark;the barrel is marked "NEW SERVICE 45 COLT";
it chambers .45 acp.
The barrel has the 2 line address ending in OCT 5,1926.
The grips are numbered in the 324000 range.I've assumed this was a "parts gun" made up in the late 1920's or early 1930's or a rebarrel & reblue;the finish looks like a Colt quality finish of that time period.Bill Powell,a Texas collector who knows more about New Service revolvers than anyone else I know,agrees with the parts gun theory.
Regards,
John Witty
turnerriver

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Here's an example of a useful thread and a good reason to read this Forum. Thanks guys. Now I'm going to look for marks on my revolvers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts