Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The gun I am examining is an Augusta Aresenal rebuild. The frame has no Colt markings anywhere, no VP, but does have a mark above the magazine release like the one below:

The gun I am looking at has ‘S11’. The S/n is 3122xx. The magazine cutouts under the grips are rectangular.

Is this a Colt frame?

Thanks, I am out of my depth on this one.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
S/N for military Colts indicates 1918 production. Slide is marked correct for 1918.

Frame is marked ‘United States Property’ on the left side with a small ‘AA’ stamp on the left side also.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
In 1918 the inspection and acceptance of military goods was reorganized, and where the Army Inspector of Ordnance had his initials placed on the Model 1911 as an indication of being accepted by Ordnance, his initials were replaced with an eagle head inspection/acceptance mark. A letter/number under the eagle head identified the inspector who accepted the weapon.

Your receiver is a Colt as identified by the serial number. None of the Model 1911 or 1911A1 receivers were marked as to manufacturer, but were required to have the manufacturer and address on the slide.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice pistol! Frame looks very similar, AA stamp is in a simiilar location. From what I have read the heart shaped cuts started after my S/N.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Nice pistol! Frame looks very similar, AA stamp is in a simiilar location. From what I have read the heart shaped cuts started after my S/N.
That's right. Heart-shaped cut outs were introduced much later.

Here is an all original AA rebuild, just like it was shipped. Reported missing years earlier, but obviously recovered and rebuilt at Augusta.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Great pictures Scott! Thanks. Mine looks similar but with some use and different slide markings. It also has a wide spur hammer and the finish is a little different (coarse Black army polish?). Will post pics at some point.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Great pictures Scott! Thanks. Mine looks similar but with some use and different slide markings. It also has a wide spur hammer and the finish is a little different (coarse Black army polish?). Will post pics at some point.
Thanks, but pictures would sure help understand what the gun looks like.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
While there was no attempt to keep original parts together during rebuilt, the arsenals did tend to use available 1911 parts on the 1911 receivers like the trigger, grip safety, and mainspring housing.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Thanks for the picture. I see what you mean about the appearance of your pistol. I can't tell for sure from the one photo, but it almost looks blued to me, rather than being a phosphate finish. It seems to have some luster. The thumb safety looks phosphate, but appears to be different than the slide and receiver.

The earliest manganese phosphate (Parkerized) finish used in the '20s and '30s had a very dark, matte finish that reminds me of what the surface of an old wood stove looks like with stove black applied to the surface. Your pistol doesn't look like that to me, and it doesn't look like zinc phosphate, either. That also makes me think your pistol might be blued. Is there any chance it may have some cold blue applied?

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your insight. I don’t believe it to be cold blued but that is just based on my experience. I will take better pictures in natural light.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A couple other points before more pics: The slide fit on the gun is fairly tight and moves less than my modern Colts. Also the barrel has the intertwined ‘HP’ stamped on the hood (H and P share the same leg if that makes sense).

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts