Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm travelling to DC in a few weeks time on business and have 2-3 days free to sightsee. Can any of you recommend some firearm or law enforcement related sites /museums - perhaps within the Smithsonian?

I've been to the Air and Space museum outside Dulles Airport before but nothings else. I know DC is not gun friendly but what do you suggest?

Best regards, Racingsnake

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The NRA Museum, Arlington Cemetery, The WW2 Memorial ..... ?
The National Archives. The FBI Museum. The WHITE HOUSE, maybe?
Truthfully, the list is nearly endless

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Marine Corps Iwo Jima Memorial, The Vietnam Memorial, Mount Vernon, National Air and Space Museum (in the Smithsonian) - the Wright Flyer, the Spirit of St. Louis, and the Gossamer Condor. Tour of the Capitol and White House (try to arrange before you get here). Like Abe said, there is no lack of things to do and see in DC.

Buck

·
Registered
278 Posts
Isn't there a firearms museum in Virginia, just a bit over the border from DC? DC has a "spy" museum. Private, commercial, and a bit hokey, but lots of spy gadgets (umbrella guns, etc).

But I'd focus more on the memorials etc as listed above.

·
Registered
210 Posts
In my opinion two things not to be missed if at all possible while in DC:

The Declaration of Independence at the National Archives and the Vietnam Wall.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The Smithsonian Air & Space Museum Annex at Dulles Airport. The main one in the city is great, but the annex has more planes on display.

Definitely see the Archives which are on Constitution Avenue. Contact your Senator and ask for the "real" tour of the Capitol. The "real" tour of the White House, while better than the one given the public, is not that much better and has been slimmed down considerably post-9/11.

The State Department has some fantastic public viewing rooms available and few go there. Poke your head in the Federal Reserve HQ, also on Constitution Avenue.

Georgetown is a waste of time, unless you like suburban mall stores in an urban setting. Walk on K Street from say 14th to 22nd - that's where all the DC power brokers have offices and lunch. Get a picture of your Senator having lunch with a lobbyist . . . .

Vietnam Memorial, again right on Constitution Avenue. Lincoln Memorial at the west end of the Mall - never fails to inspire.

Plenty to do, just try and see some of the "hidden gems". It is a great town, in spite of its' terrible politics. I went to undergrad school at George Washington and lived in the area for 30 years.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The NRA's National Firearms Museum is just outside the Washington Beltway, in gun-friendly Fairfax, VA. It is well worth a visit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys. I'm definately going to do the FBI and NRA Museums as well as the Vietnam Wall. I was in Ho Chi Minh City (Siagon) a few years ago and did the whole tour there with the museum and CuChi tunnels, but I have always wanted to visit the wall - a very special and meaningful place.

Moosedog does F.O.P. stand for Fraternal Order of Police?

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you're looking for firearms-related sight-seeing opportunities then the NRA Museum in Fairfax, VA (as others have stated), the Marine Corps Museum in Triangle, VA, and I've heard that the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen, MD is worth a visit, too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I very much recommend the International Spy Museum. It is between 9th and 8th Streets at 800 F Street (very close to Ford's theater).

I also recommend the The Crime Museum. It's located across from the Verizon Center at 575 7th St. NW between E and F Streets in downtown D.C
Here is a the brochure: http://www.crimemuseum.org/documents/TriFold.pdf.

If you have time, a visit to the Holocaust Center and Museum is an experience that will be not forgotten. I recommend it as well.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
DC is NOT gun friendly by any stretch of the imagination. VA is the exact opposite. If you have a legal permit/licenses in your home state and they are reciprocal with VA you are fine.
The list of must see places in DC is endless. In VA the Firearms Museum is great and has a range you can use. Definitely worth the visit.
If you enjoy wine, the area outside DC, in VA, is dotted with lots of small vineyards that offer tours and tastings.
The Air & Space Museum now has the Shuttle for display.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts