Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 python that needs hopefully just some springs replaced and was wondering if I should send to Colt (they told me could be up to 4-5 months after evaluation, but the good thing was they still have a smith that has been working on Pythons for 40 years)
or if there are other shop that have the same quality of experience.

Gun shoots fine here are my issues, cylinder release is loose (it wobbles up and down and needs to be pushed forward to lock it does not just spring back in place) also (and no i don't do this often) noticed when dry fired the firing pin stays out a 32nd of an inch and does not retrace back in by itself.

again neither of these cause any firing issues yet and i am assuming when loaded and the cylinder rotates the firing pin is pushed back into position.

SO i am hoping and assuming its just 45 year old springs that need to be replaced but am not comfortable doing this myself.
I am guessing they will clean it up and check all the parts while they are in there.

So what should i do Colt or somewhere else
any help is appreciated
thanks
Joe

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,428 Posts
Colt is the best option.
They are THE experts and have all the special tools and original parts needed.
They'll give the gun a total check up and correct any issues.
When you get it back it'll be in 100% original factory mechanical condition.

One other good option that might be faster is expert Frank Glenn. He's well known for his Colt work.

Frank Glenn-Glenn Custom Complete Gunsmithing Service Glendale AZ

There's also Cylinder & Slide Shop in Nebraska but they'll be very expensive and probably even slower then Colt.
There's really no one else I can personally recommend, and you do have to be careful who you trust with Colt's.

These are things you could tackle yourself, but since you don't feel comfortable doing it, I won't bother going in to detail.
"Probably" the major problem is the gun is gummed up by old, dried lubricant and a good deep detail cleaning might fix it, but that won't address the loose latch.
So, My recommendation is to send it home to Colt for a complete checkup. At least you KNOW it'll be done right.
If you don't want to wait, Glenn has the reputation of offering quality work

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dfariswheel, I have watched the videos in the past on completely taking apart the Python, and really i don't see anything that looks too difficult, just don't know if I should, i would really hate to bugger up a screw or bend or lose something, figure i should leave it to the experts .... now if it was a Smith I would have no problem fudging around with it :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Send it to Colt. Get it fixed right the first time. It will keep its value that way. Several years ago I sent my 6" SS Python to Colt to have them replace the crooked front sight. While there I had them replace the front sight with one that
had the red ramp. They also installed a white outline rear leaf too. I also had them inspect, clean and lube, and adjust the timing and lockup as needed. I got back an "as new" Python that shoots like a dream.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, called Colt Friday and am shipping it off on Monday so hopefully within a week I will know the cost to repair. Then I should have her back by my birthday in July :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.