Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an acquaintance who is looking for some help on this gun. He is well versed in firearms, but not overly familiar with these old Colt 1911s. He has identified it as a 1932 National Match. He stated that all the numbers match up on it. He sent me these pictures. He told me that there is some old oil on the gun, and that is what some of the streaks on it are (please keep this in mind while viewing). He was not sure if it had ever been re-blued or not. The people he has shown it to so far indicate that there MIGHT possibly be some indication of reblue, but if so, it was an excellent job.

I asked him for permission to post it here for the following reason: I know some of you guys are experts on these and will see any points of interest right away. Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. IE do the sights look right, grips, etc. He is looking for opinions of value. Since it will probably not be possible to definitely tell about the finish from these pictures, feel free to give an estimate of value with re-blue and refinish.

DSC01999.jpg

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
i am not one of the experts you seek, but the pics don't really show the areas that one needs to see in order to answer some of your questions.
the rollmarks and around the triggerguard should be clear in the photos.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, understood. He is following this thread so if he sends me some other pics I will post them.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the gentlemen with the gun will be joining the forum and posting pics. Stand by-

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
kdave21,

As previously stated...the pics shown make refinish determination impossible. Start with authenticating the parts of a Pre War NM to make sure the gun is whole. This will also greatly effect the value.

The serial number on the frame should also be stamped under the firing pin stop. The barrel should have a stamp (MB in a circle) on the barrel lug. The barrel hood should be polished as seen through the ejection port with the rest of the barrel blued. There are many internal parts that should be highly polished as opposed to a non NM Colt from that year. One part easily visable without any disassembly is the highly polished hammer strut as seen in the pic below. All small parts should be checkered, not serrated. From what I can see...the sights and walnut grips appear to be correct.

You can see multiple examples of these guns at this site:

Colt Pistols and Revolvers for Firearms Collectors - Gun of the Month - July 2008

·
Premium Member
9,517 Posts
"Numbers match?" A Colt is not like a Smith & Wesson where the major parts are stamped with the serial number, so that phrase does not apply to a Colt.

About all I can tell from the poor pictures is that the gun is likely refinished. The color is too dark and there is too much "shine" on what is shown.

The small pictures of the gun do not allow for analysis of the markings on the parts, such as the barrel. Better pictures are needed.

·
Registered
355 Posts
It looks like his photo white balance is off if the towel background was white.
Good photos can make or break a gun sale, otherwise it's a pig in a polk.
I have many 1911's with matching numbers, the slide number is behind the firing pin stop.
I don't know when Colt began or stopped this numbering process. Shown below is a slide
number from a 1939 government 38 super.

-Darryl pix559690393.jpg

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
One of my reference books states starting after 1920 up through WW II for all Commercial Colts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Owner

I am the owner of this gun and I am attempting to upload the higher res photos. The originals are 14mp and upwards of 5 mb's each so they are too large for this website to allow me to post them. If I attach a few more low quality photos it is because I am testing to see how big I can go. The slide serial number matches the frame serial number. There is the MB circled on the barrel. The barrel is blued except for the portion which you can see through the ejection port. I attempted to wipe most of the excess oil off of the gun so that you can see the true finish.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
It appears to me that it's been carefully buffed and refinished. The serial number is a little wiped,, but the
bluing is decent. I'd own it if the price was right.
My 2 cents,
Darryl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Darrylta what is that right price? A gun is only worth what someone would pay for it. I am trying to figure out what people believe the true market value is for this item.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts