Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. I took a Colt Det Spec. out of the safe. The serial number is 5595xx. Is this the first model. I now know why I kept it there. I don't like the large rubber grips. What is the frame size and where could I find some smaller wooden grips. I have a tyler t-grip to use. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks everyone:

------------------
Jack

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Welcome jacks!
Your Det. Spec. is not a first issue but a very good old second issue and it was manuf. in 1950. It is built on a what is known as a "D" frame, and uses same stocks as the Diamondback, Police Pos. Spec., Cobra, and Agent. They are not too difficult to find, just check out local gunshops and gunshows.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Looks like about 1950 production.
This should have the old style full profile grip frame. Remove the grips, and check to see if the steel grip frame is a full length, or has the later "stubby" grip frame.
The full length will be longer, and rounded off on the bottom.
The stubby will be short and square on the bottom.

These older models are a little tough to fit with modern grips, since Colt went with the stubby frame sometime ago, and most grip makers don't offer grips for the older ones.

What you will need is a Colt "D" frame grip, but you will have to be VERY clear to specify that it's and older full length frame. Otherwise you'll get a grip that won't fit.

Sources for the original factory "skinny" checkered grips are: Gun Parts Corporation at: http://www.e-gunparts.com

Ebay usually have them turn up for sale
often.

Some grip makers offer models to fit the old-style "D" long-grip guns. You might try Hogue's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellows for the quick reply. Its coming back to me now. At 66 I tend to get those senior moments.
I think when I retired and moved I lost those other grips but as you say, I'm sure I'll find some. I knew I had this gun for awhile because my grip adapter is a FTE GA 5. I don't think they are in business anymore just Tyler T-grips left.
I check with the grips off to see what I got.
------------------
Jack

[This message has been edited by jacks (edited 09-04-2003).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dfariswheel

The grip frame is straight across the bottom but rounded on the edges at the botom. Is that what you mean by the older model.
Thanks again.

------------------
Jack

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
That's the original style long frame. The newer short frames end just above where the large hole is in the lower grip area.

What you will need is to carefully specify that you need grips for the original long Colt "D" frame. Otherwise sellers will automatically send you grips that are made for the stubby frame.

·
Premium Member
9,477 Posts
Just a point of interest, it is not necessary to remove the stocks (as Colt people, we should all know that Colt calls them stocks, not grips) to see if a D-frame revolver has the full frame. Just look at the bottom of the butt. If wood is seen, it is a Post-1965 short frame; if metal is seen, it is a Pre-1966 full frame.

It is also incorrect to say that the Agent uses the same stocks as other D-frames. The original Agent has a very short butt frame, and the stocks for one will not reach the bottom of the butt on a full-frame D-frame. The Post-1965 short D-butt frames are all the same length, and the stocks are used to fix the butt length for the Agent and others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi JudgeColt:

In this case I had oversize pachmayer on it. That't the reason for the "stocks"
being off in the picture.
Nice to hear from you again, I see/talk to you from time to time on the S&W Forum.

------------------
Jack

[This message has been edited by jacks (edited 09-06-2003).]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Layton:

I did find the same thing on Auction Arms and got a pair. Thanks for the info.

------------------
Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts