Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relatively new firearms owner, all semiauto. However, any help on what I have will be greatly appreciated. Cleaning out my parent’s basement, resting in the bottom of my late grandfather’s bin wrapped in a towel is a colt agent 38. However, this one has the shrouded hammer. The confusing part is the serial does not have a letter 6 numbers beginning with a 1. The Colt site shows 18 possibilities. Any help is greatly appreciated. Of course, a local dealer initial offered me $40, which he seemed way to eager to go to $100. So I passed

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Don't know much about colt double actions. It has the sight and unshrouded ejector similar to a picture of a cobra 1st issue. Barrel says agent but my book only shows shrouded ejector. Regardless an offer of $40 is an insult. You could do better. Wait for the experts to weigh in

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
You have one of the early model Colt Agents. The shroud might be factory. The Agent was only made in .38 Special. The dealer is really trying to rake you over on those offers. The gun is worth a lot more the was offered. Put the full serial number up with an X for the last digit and someone will get you a DOB for the gun. Nice old Colt.

·
Registered
9,269 Posts
First-issued, shrouded Colt 'Agent' is what you have, but its condition is on the low side, as you can tell - the 'Blue Book' at your Public Library can photographically gage the overall remaining percentage of finish, then you can get a better idea.

Or, you can wait, and someone will happily assign a value.

·
Registered
276 Posts
"Rake" is a very nice way of stating that. I hope the OP doesn't give that dealer another shot at it. Unless the other side of that pistol is completely rusted away it's beyond me how anyone could make such a scoundrelous offer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you the serial is 12419X, the condition it pretty beat up although the barrel spins and the action seems inline

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
The overall condition puts this Agent in to a decent shooter market.
The hammer shroud might make it a desirable version to someone.
Value is hard to assign, but its certainly worth several times the $100.00 offer by you local dealer.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
You have a 1955 first year production Colt Agent.

As mentioned, the cosmetic condition is worn. If the gun has no mechanical issues you could post it here in the Classified sub forum for $350 and probably sell it easily. Some buyers and sellers may take the used hammer shroud into consideration up to about $50, as they are not common and a nice accessory for Colt snub revolvers. You would need to have over 15 posts in other sub forums before you can sell anything on the Colt Forum.

The dealer you talked to is not willing to make you a fair deal. Even with his expenses, which should be considered, the bum could have offered you $250 for the gun. I wouldn't even buy a cleaning rod from that guy.

***My mistake. It is NOT a 1955 Agent. It is a 1962 as was subsequently mentioned. I didn't read carefully enough, and I saw one less digit SN digit than it has. My apologies for my carelessness in replying.***

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
welcome to the forum...nice little piece u have there....your local dealer is trying to be not honest with u...we all like good deals ...but if u are looking to sell...the forum here is your best place...it will sell fast and it will be well loved...i would suggest some better pics too...we all would love to see them...if u need any help...pm me and i will gladly add the pics for u too...God Bless,John....i find that imgur or post image is great for pics...imgur i would use the large thumbnail too...

Reactions: oberon

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
well as long as the pieces are all there..it can be repaired....if u are looking to keep it...all can be fixed...if u are just looking to sell...leave it as is and sell it as is...either way...it will bring more money than their low ball offer....God Bless,John

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
“Barrel spins?” You mean cylinder right?
Include LW in the serial number and you should get an accurate date of manufacture. It’s 1965 or earlier. If you need to sell, that gun qualifies as a C&R which is a bonus.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
"LW" is part of the serial number as a suffix. It means "LightWeight".

Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Ha ha I'm new to this , what does LW mean it is stamped
LW stands for light weight...Agents like yours are the first edition models...i had a 1956 and they are beautiful guns...well made..and the shrouded hammer shrouds are hard to find too...the LW should be next to serial numbers to be a genuine one...God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd think the shroud would bring the $100 by itself . I like it and if it were my dads or paps money would not buy it . I'd keep it at least for the time being , you can always sell one but you can't always get it back if you decide selling was a mistake .

Eddie

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
As this was your late grandfather's it would not leave my possession ....it would be my new carry piece....

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 45 Posts