Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! (What\'s this Worth?)

Hello. I am hoping you experts can help me value this gun. I'm happy to try to provide any additional information that would help. But as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words (at least I hope so).

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: Help! (What\'s this Worth?)

appears to be a pretty nice 6in. python from the 70-80`s, they start at around 700$ and a lnib will bring around 1k+

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen many different price ranges on GA, so I didn't really know. I'm guessing this gun is at least 98%. I am fairly certain that it has less than 250 rounds through it also.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

It's hard for me to tell by the pics, but is the hammer blued on the sides?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, it is blued on both sides. What does that tell me (you)?

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts

Normally the sides should be in the white. Also, I can't tell from the picture but is the sideplate screw on the left side a little buggered up?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

The hammers are only blued on the side near the checkering (the very end of the spur). The rest of the hammer sides is left in the white. A fully blued hammer should make you suspect a aftermarket reblue job or a hammer replacement and the hammer has been reblued. I would look closely for signs of a reblue.
Non original finish drops the value considerably.

·
Registered
811 Posts

Can't tell by the second picture down, but what does it say on the side of the barrel?

Also ,when you open the and swing out the cylinder, what numbers or letters do you see stamped on the inside of the frame?

I too question the hammer being blued. Yes, the hammer is a 'Python' hammer but it should say that on the barrel?

The picture quality (color) does NOTshow enough as to tell the "finish", new or 'redo'...................

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks for all the info. It is indeed a Python and I made a mistake about the hammer. The _SIDES_ of the hammer are not, in fact, blued. This seems to be the original bluing. I would estimate it at about 98%-99%, since there are some drag marks on the cylinder. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the gun, but my dad says he looked up the serial number and that it was post-1978, or whenever the database stops.

So, I think he wants to sell it on GA. I suppose I will recommend he start it at $900 and be a little flexible.

Thanks again for all your help, I knew I was coming to the right place. If you have more comments or suggestions, please let me know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts