Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOT STAINLESS FOUND OUT ITS COLTGUARD (couldn't edit the title)

Hi all my new friends, I need a little help with a gun i just purchased
I bought this assuming it was a regular 4" stainless Python that someone had polished up using something like Mothers as the trigger guard and back strap are matte stainless but the gun is in such fantastic condition I couldn't pass it up. All the bright stainless parts are so bright and perfect I cant figure it out
The thing to me that is really odd is the trigger and hammer are bright stainless too and perfect and i haven't seen that on stainless guns that are not B STS.
so my question for the experts is were some of the Pythons a 2 tone stainless with the area around the hammer and trigger guard done matte and the rest of the gun done as bright stainless.
All examples that i have seen on GB and other sites that are B STS have both of those areas bright stainless and not matte stainless
Let me know if any additional pictures are needed of any areas in particular and i will take and post them
also it is a K series K66xxx made in 1981
hoping someone can enlighten and educate me without having to get a letter as i will be using this as a shooter (most likely)

also I would like to know what you guys think this gun is worth (curious if i overpaid)

thanks
Joe
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun
Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Gun Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Auto part Finger Tool accessory Cutting tool

·
Registered
330 Posts
Coltguard was all a flat finish wasn't it? SO I am assuming it has been polished and does that hurt the value?
I have a 1981 Coltguard close to your same serial number K667xx.. same "matte" finish in the areas you speak of. If you hold it up to a stainless gun you will notice more of a yellowish tint if that makes sense. I dont think yours was polished, experts should be along shortly.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Stainless came out in the latter part of 1982 and had the high end of the K-series serial numbers (mine is just barely past K90000).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 1981 Coltguard close to your same serial number K667xx.. same "matte" finish in the areas you speak of. If you hold it up to a stainless gun you will notice more of a yellowish tint if that makes sense. I dont think yours was polished, experts should be along shortly.
thanks yes mine is K669xx and I called Colt yesterday and they said 1981 (don't know if that is when made or shipped)
are these guns more rare than stainless ones

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,441 Posts
The Python electroless nickel finish was called "Royal Coltguard". It was shinier then standard Coltguard as used on other guns.

As above, the first stainless Pythons started shipping in late 1982, and have an "S" stamped on the barrel inside the ejector rod shroud, in the center of the cylinder under the ejector, and on the lower left side of the grip frame.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I think i see what you are talking about it's Colt Royal Coltguard finish, bead blasted back strap and trigger guard and the rest is polished e-nickel finish?

Do you think i need to order a letter or is it so unique a finish that based on the serial number it's the only finish it could be....

·
Registered
28 Posts
A question for the more experienced experts out there - was that Royal Coltguard finish that bright from the factory? I did not realize it was that bright, but would love to hear more expert opinions on this. The gun is beautiful - I think you did great. Does anyone out there know how many of these were made like this? Had to be pretty low production numbers?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A question for the more experienced experts out there - was that Royal Coltguard finish that bright from the factory? I did not realize it was that bright, but would love to hear more expert opinions on this. The gun is beautiful - I think you did great. Does anyone out there know how many of these were made like this? Had to be pretty low production numbers?
That's what I was thinking also but there are only a few that have been listed on gunbroker and they didn't look as bright or polished looking as this one

·
Registered
330 Posts
Mine is pretty bright like yours, minus the matte part of course.Got a letter from colt and it is labeled as "Coltguard".I asked Paul from Colt what the difference between Coltguard and Royal Coltguard is and he said nothing, its the same finish. Royal Coltguard was the advertising name.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So yours is all the same finish polished all over.... mine is almost a bead blast satin finish around the backstrap and trigger guard. I dont think itncould be polished out easily.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.