Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a Trooper 357 model and the s/n is 76489 & the barrel is marked Trooper 357. My questions are:

1. Does that mean that this is a 1968 made gun?
2. Is there any year/years that is/are better than others, generally speaking?
3. If the gun is in approximately 95% condition w/ original grips, is $700 a good buy?
4. How can I verify if the grips are original?

thanks for the input.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,545 Posts
One "indicator" about Colt grip originality is the rear side plate screw........
On models shipped with Target grips the screw is a flat head.
On models shipped with Service grips the screw is a dome head.

This is not a 100% proof since screws are easily changed.
It's common today for Colt's to be robbed of the valuable Target grips for separate sale to increase the profit and a gun with Service grips and a flat head screw is at least an indication the original grips were switched.

Original Trooper grips would have Silver Colt medallions.

Features that would increase the value are a gun with Target hammer and Target grips. Service hammer and Service grips might lower the value just a bit.
I don't even try to keep up on Colt values, but I'd think a genuine 95% all original Trooper would be a good buy at that price.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so it's not 95%, it's more like an 85% gun, although I know that all of this is quite subjective. Here is the best pic that I have, he's not too far from me, so I may just go see it, handle it to get a better feel for lockup, etc.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
The grips look like SILE replacement, but they sure do not look like SILE Colt grips.
You'll have to take a good look at this one and trust you gut feelings, but I'd deduct at least $100.00 for those rips. This gun is probably a $500-$600 Trooper.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,545 Posts
As above, the grips are not original Colt...... the same grip is being made by Altamont, so non-original grips is a down check on value.
Also, if the sides of the hammer are blued the gun has been refinished, a major down check.

With that said, the Trooper has the same frame and action as the Python and is often called "A Poor man's Python", so you get the benefits of the Python in a far less expensive package.
Whether the gun is worth the asking price is something for you to decide, these Colt's aren't going to get any cheaper in coming years, and today's "too high" will be tomorrows "Great deal".

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't mentioned it yet, but the gun does not look refinished apart from the hammer, so I suspect that the hammer has been replaced, but that's just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
I haven't mentioned it yet, but the gun does not look refinished apart from the hammer, so I suspect that the hammer has been replaced, but that's just speculation on my part.
The sides of the hammer might be dark from rust, not necessarily a refinish.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
In the picture the cylinder latch also looks purple (which could but not 100% be a sign of a refinish) and the VP stamp looks blue (which is the sign of a refinish). Bottom sideplate seam also looks soft which is the sign of non-factory polishing.

But it could be the picture. Just trying to be helpful with observations 👍🏻

1 - 15 of 15 Posts