Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys help with authenticating a Walker in Minnesota...who's the best of the best? I have a letter from H.P. White Lab from the late 50's and I know where the gun has been since the early 50's but either way it needs to be looked at again.

Fun little facts:

It’s fully engraved from brass on trigger guard, frame, barrel, dog's head on hammer with Indian scene on cylinder. Cylinder appears to be silver plated...lettering on cylinder appears to be "WL JRMSDY SE NY". The back strap has: Col JJ Hoddsom engraved on it. D Company #1**

Any help or contact info would be great. I'm unfamiliar with the process and I'm sure it going to auction. But I feel that it needs to be checked out a little first

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Nick,

Do you have any pictures you can post here? There a few guys right here on the forum that know what to look for. "Texas Man" collects early percussion Colts.

I just looked at the member list and didn't see Texas man listed. Maybe he's not here anymore or I'm getting the handle wrong.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If it's going to auction,Rock Island is one place that would take care of everything for you including the authenticating.One option for you.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
W L Ormsby was the designer of engraved scene on the cylinder on the walker ( I know what much) . I did a quick google and found this quotation but I do not personally know if the information given is correct or not.

"In a followup to our earlier discussion on what the "Sc" stands for after W. L. Ormsby's signature on Colt's Walker revolver, Art Tobias writes: "On an earlier engraved scene done for Colt's 1830s Paterson production the word "Sculpt" appears after "W. L. Ormsby". Ormsby did not use either Sculpt or Sc again when signing work done for Colt after 1847. "

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mike Clark with Collector's Firearms could probably lend you a hand in helping to authenticate it. The gun would need to be authenticated by several sources especially before you think about shelling out the kind of money it would take to acquire it. Hope this helps you.....Best wishes......

ktncolt:cool:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm sure no collector of original Walkers. However two features on original Walkers are missing from this pistol. There's no pressure ridge on the cylinder. Also there's no short dash between the words NEW-YORK. It only has NEW YORK. It appears to have the correct shoulders on the cylinder though and also the trigger guard correctly has no bevel on it's base edges. Beats me. There is a record of Two CIVILIAN ( which were serialed from 1000 to 1100 ) Walkers being sold out of Colts New York office that reportedly had ivory (handle?) and silver inlays. Don't know about engraved walkers. Who knows?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Didn't the Walkers have some kind of an iron alloy cylinder? That could be a starting point.

Still, for the money a genuine Walker would command, it would give someone serious motivation to fake one, and there are some good fakers out there. I had heard of one account where someone saw a "Walker, it had some genuine Walker parts someone got their hands on and built up on an aftermarket frame. Sometimes they aren't even meant to be "fakes", but back in the 40's and 50's when this stuff wasn't worth as much, people just built things up out of old parts just to make something usable out of them.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'm sure no collector of original Walkers. However two features on original Walkers are missing from this pistol. There's no pressure ridge on the cylinder. Also there's no short dash between the words NEW-YORK....
What is a pressure ridge?

Also, the cylinders on these things often burst, I can picture a burst cylinder being replaced later in the guns life with a better one so the lack of an iron cylinder still does not make the gun suspect.
Welcome to the forum and PLEASE keep us informed as to the outcome of all of this!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Old Walkers are the Old Colts that are very Dear to My Heart. There are so few left today and a one hell of a lot of fakes. Without more pictures its hard to see what You are looking for. I have seen some good copys that were done back in the late 1930s out of Old Mexico and then during the 1950s there was a guy making copies of Colt Patersons, I forget his name but they fooled a lot of advanced collectors and still do today.
All Orginal Walkers will have the compression mark on the cyclinder and very small letters on the frame. I think there is one know Walker that had an inscribtion on the grip frame and to My knowledge none were engraved. Ever Walker I have ever seen will show hard use with perhaps the only exception the Wilson Walker. The shape of the grips is somewhat different than later Colts as well.
I have been reading the trend about Red Jackson of Dallas Texas back in the 1950s and that brings back something that happen to Me many years ago.

I had found a write-up in a magazine years ago about 1954 -55 that Red Jackson had written about the Old Colts including the Paterson, Walker and Dragoon models and a few pictures as well. I had already become interested in Old Guns at the time and was only 13-14 years old at the time. After reading his story I knew I had to have a big Old Colt someday myself. At the time My Grandparents lived in Llano, Texas and when I had the chance to go visit them, I became friends with the local gunsmith named Mancel Maddox that had a samll model T grage behind his house and He would sit outside under a big mesquite three on nice days and work on guns. About a year had gone by when I told him about Red Jacksons story and I ask if he had any of the big Old Colts anywhere. He looked at Me a lone time and spit on the ground and said "Son, I think I have one or two somewhere in the house". I was quick in inform him I wanted one. He said He would see if he could find one for Me.
I had traded for a Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage and the next time I saw Him he wanted the 300 Savage as He said He had a guy who was looking for one. I wanted $20.00 for it and after sitting it down He told Me He have something inside that He had found that I may be interested in. I watched as he walking in his house and as He returned I became very excited when I saw He had a very big gun in his hand and handing it to Me He said I found this one and I have had it for years and He handed Me a very nice C Company Walker Colt. I remember how my arm dropped when I took it and at that time few were collecting old Colts and those who were had no books or anything at the time to go by. I traded Mancell the Savage 99 for the Old Walker ever trade and thats not all digging around in his shop He found a tin of Colt Caps and three cans of Dupount triple FFF black powder. I was either 15 or 16 at the time and I drove hell bent for My GrandMas house and with a hand full of 44 cal. balls I waisted no time in loading the Old Colt and firing it. It had a hair trigger and hit dead on with a fine bead at fifty steps. I was in heven. I kept the Walker and hunted with it the rest of the year and killed a couple of deer with it and a hog or two. It never failed to fire and when I looked down that long barrel I could see Indians and Mexicans and Outlaws and it give Me a feeling that sends shivers up My back to this day. Well We all know how a 16 year boy is always wanting something else and after shotting it for over a year baybe closer to two years I sold it the the Museum of Arms Historice Arms in Fla. for the grand some of $350.00 and they sold it the next year for $750.00

Today ever time I think about the day I sold that Old Walker I wish I had a way to kick My Own Ass ever day. The Walker I have today cost Me as much as a new house about 30 years ago and I will never sell it.

Try to get some more pictures and post them here if You can and show the serial numbers.

Best Of Luck, Texas Man

1 - 20 of 53 Posts