Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to get rid of the dark spots on my gun without hurting the value of it? I want to keep the value but would like it to look nice even though its been through years of neglect

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Shotgun

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
Get yourself a 'Big 45 Metal Cleaner' pad, and some oil, and you'll clean off a lot of the crud, without harming the original finish.

The smaller rust spots - the ones that aren't deep into the metal - will clean up nicely, and the bigger ones won't look as bad.

You're not going to be able to return it to its former glory, but you should be able to make it look better-cared-for than it does.

Be patient - keep adding oil and changing the pad's surface, and don't get in a hurry, as you work the pad.

You'll be pleased.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Id say soak the spots in Kroil

Let it sit, keep wetting it cause it will dry

Hit it with Brass wool or 0000 steel wool if the brass wont touch it.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
I'd say...

Just Lube and Oil it well, wipe down lightly with Oil, and, leave it be otherwise ( other than to go Plinking now and then ).

Trying to 'clean' it, you will loose what little actual Blue it still has, and make it look 'scrubbed' and or messed-with.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I'd say...

Just Lube and Oil it well, wipe down lightly with Oil, and, leave it be otherwise ( other than to go Plinking now and then ).

Trying to 'clean' it, you will loose what little actual Blue it still has, and make it look 'scrubbed' and or messed-with.
I agree. I`ve got one in similar shape but keep it oiled. I kind of like the patina on mine. Gives it character...

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.