Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help with Colt Cobra

Hi,
I was looking for a new carry revolver and found this at a shop priced at $250.00 OTD.
I know little about Colts so a was looking for general information about reliability issues and value.Also approx date of production
The revolver appears to have a barrel length of 2" or less. The left side of the barrel is stamped Colt Cobra 38 Spl. From the weight I believe the frame is alloy, with a steel barrel and cylinder.Finish has very little wear. Fixed sights, 6 shot. Has Pac Compac grips with gold Colt medallions. The serial number is 2411XX.I assume the grips are aftermarket?
In the past I have carried S&W J Alloy Frames. This appears to be close in size and weight but has 6 shots.
Any help would be appreciated, Jim

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Help with Colt Cobra

You are correct, the Cobra is essentially a Detective Special with an alloy frame. If your serial is 2211xxLW, it would be a "first issue" made in 1967. It would have an unshrouded (exposed) ejector rod. Those would be aftermarket stocks based on the year, but nevertheless Colt, as Pac made stocks for Colt with the medallions. Those with gold medallions were generally used on the "fourth issue" Det Specs from 1993-1995. FWIW Blue Book for a 90% is $250 and a 95% is $425, but if you watch any auctions you will see that prices vary and higher is often asked. I would say you did fine. I suspect you are familiar with the pros and cons of alloy from your post. Welcome to the board and browsing will reveal previous topics about DSs and Cobras. Ever been on Card Sound Road? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

A1A,
Thanks for the help. You are correct, no shrouded extractor rod. The serial # is 2411XX, didn't notice a W would that be in line with the serial number or above or below it?
Are these generally solid revolvers as long as you stay away from +p ammo? What is the factory advertised weight?
Thanks, Jim

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Although most serial characters are usually stamped in a row, I have a Cobra crane # 211140 with the LW stamped under the number. The LW is "light weight" used as part of the Cobra serials for a time. I don't know the catalog weight, but I bet it's either posted or someone else will. Here is one response on the +P. http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15732&an=0&page=9#15732

·
Registered
778 Posts

Colt also made a 22 cal. Cobra version all of which have 3" barrels. I have one that looks unfired, and it will probably stay that way because of the alloy frame. I can see it getting bumped, and getting a scratch on the frame or worse. I bought it to have as another one of the snakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts