Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Horsepower - Yours was manufactured in 1974 the last S/N that year was 24900. There were two (2) prefixes that year, a "G" and "L".

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I only have the 22lr cylinder with mine, is it possible to be 22lr only or did it originally have a 22 mag cylinder with it as well?

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
I own several New Frontier 22 and Peacemaker 22 revolvers with L serial numbers and have looked at many more. I've never seen one with the correct, serial numbered box that was shipped as a single cylinder gun. All the boxes were marked with the dual cylinder model number and "dual cylinder" on the label. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen one of these guns from 1974 or later, shipped in the stryofoam boxes, that was a single cylinder gun.
- - - Buckspen

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I own several New Frontier 22 and Peacemaker 22 revolvers with L serial numbers and have looked at many more. I've never seen one with the correct, serial numbered box that was shipped as a single cylinder gun. All the boxes were marked with the dual cylinder model number and "dual cylinder" on the label. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen one of these guns from 1974 or later, shipped in the stryofoam boxes, that was a single cylinder gun.
- - - Buckspen
Thanks for the information, after thinking back, I bet my gun did have both cylinders and I didn't realize it! The lady that I bought it from also had an old beat up Ruger single six with "3" cylinders! The gun was so rough that I didn't even look at it. I feel silly that I didn't make the connection then, I am going to make a call and see if by some chance she still has it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Thanks for the information, after thinking back, I bet my gun did have both cylinders and I didn't realize it! The lady that I bought it from also had an old beat up Ruger single six with "3" cylinders! The gun was so rough that I didn't even look at it. I feel silly that I didn't make the connection then, I am going to make a call and see if by some chance she still has it.
Make sure she sends you the right one, it should be stamped 22 mag. 3 times around the cylinder. Don't remember about the Ruger, also ask her if she has the box, you never know.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news! I just talked to the previous owner's wife and she still has the Ruger and all of the cylinders. I am going to stop by and take a look at them, hopefully one of them belongs to my Colt!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The L series was made from 3/74 to 9/74, Most wer 6 inch dual cylinder guns . I picked up a 6 incher 2 yrs ago with tattered box and brown styrofoam insert. Just great little revolvers. Most that I have seen hadvery nice bright case colors. Enjoy. These are becoming heirloom guns . I have one squirreled away for each of my kids.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Horsepower - What is the caliber stamp on the Barrel? is it .22 LR or .22 caliber. Colt only stamped the .22 LR only if that cylinder was shiipped with the revolver. If stamped with .22 caliber, it could have been shipped with the .22 Mag cylinder too. I hope the lady has the correct cylinder for your revolver!!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good question Abwehr, I will have to check when I get home later. I will update the thread when I know more.

·
Premium Member
7,790 Posts
All of the L serial numbered ..L serialed, and G serialed too, will come with a barrel for both calibers even though the earlier guns in the "lift top" boxes may have been shipped with a single cylinder... but the great news is that he was able to locate the other original cylinder. In prime condition, they can cost up around $200 for the extra cylinder

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Horsepower - What is the caliber stamp on the Barrel? is it .22 LR or .22 caliber. Colt only stamped the .22 LR only if that cylinder was shiipped with the revolver. If stamped with .22 caliber, it could have been shipped with the .22 Mag cylinder too. I hope the lady has the correct cylinder for your revolver!!!
This applies only to the Frontier Scouts and Buntline Scouts (Q, F, P and K serial number models). ALL Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers made from 1970 to 1976 were designed for and had barrels marked for the dual cylinder option. Some were shipped with only the .22 LR cylinder, but those were marked the same as those shipped with both cylinders. Serial numbers of these guns were below G200000.

The exception, of course, are the New Frontier .22 revolvers made in the 1980's. Those were designed only for the .22 LR and were only shipped with one cylinder. All such guns have serial numbers above G200000.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well bad news, I looked at the cylinders tonight after work and they are both for a Ruger single six. I was really hoping that one would be for my gun, but no such luck, so I guess its 22lr only for me. I got a great deal on the gun and I really like it, but still would have been nice to have it complete.

Buckspen- so are you saying that basically there is no way to determine whether my gun originally included a 22 mag cylinder or not? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
There are only two ways to determine if a Peacemaker .22 or New Frontier .22 was shipped from the Colt factory with both cylinders. If you have the original box, the label has the model number and sometimes will be marked "cyl" or "dual cylinder". (See note below.)
If you don't have the box, the only way to be sure is to get an historical letter from the Colt Archive department. There are no stampings or other markings on the guns themselves that indicate if it was shipped with both cylinders or not.

Note: The model numbers of these revolvers consisted of a letter (always G) and a four digit number. The first number indicated the model (1=Peacemaker .22, 2=New Frontier .22). The second number indicated the absence or presence of the .22 Magnum cylinder (2=.22 LR only and 4=.22 LR and .22 Magnum). The third number indicates the barrel length (4=4 3/4 inch, later 4.4 inch; 6= six inch; 7=7 1/2 inch (Buntline). The fourth number was always 1 for these guns that were made in the 1970's. So a model number of G1461 would be a Peacemaker .22 shipped with both cylinders and having a 6 inch barrel.

- - Buckspen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts