Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To try again --- A new type of Colt for me -- comments appreciated --

Etched barrel .38 CF, Nickel is almost 100% but for the patch seen near left muzzle & fine scaling on the barrel. Grips sharp show no wear. Function perfect aftr oiling. Bore shiny & sharp. Fire blue on trigger & top & back of hammer 100%, s/n 17Ks. LGS price 1200 but my jawboneing, $950 OTD.

Maybe I have stumbled on to a rare Colt 'sleeper'. I posted on this & two other forums, got a few 'likes' but no comments. Tried gunbroker & found none, a few other searches found a couple other lookalikes without the ejector, &.41 cloverleafs. Finally on collectorsfirearms found one in snub form priced at $4200. Wondering if it's an example of coltapathy or super-rarity. Gun shows no sign of useage but of poor storage in which the nickel suffered with a lot of tiny scuff marks but the fire blue survived @ near 100%. Seems a primitive design with no off-primer cock position. Shows no dry firing abuse usually seen in the pounding of the hammer surface into the frame @ firing pin area. Also interesting, the nickeling over the barrel etching saying New Police .38. I'm beginning to think about giving it a treatment of flitz or semichrome. I'd really appreciate knowledgeable comments or sympathy ---->

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
I believe the New Line, New House, and New Police were all lumped together in a serial number range to 25,000 serial number range. I think yours is the New House. The New House had the plain stocks with the Colt oval at the top where the New Police had the Cop and Thug at the bottom and the Colt at the top.

·
Premium Member
5,804 Posts
Beautiful gun at an amazing price! Everyone of those I've ever seen was a Cop and Thug. An archive letter would probably be a good idea. I think that design made for one of Colt's best looking guns.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Since the three were in the same serial number range, does anyone know if they were differentiated in the ledger. I believe the New Police always had the Cop and Thug stocks.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
1880-1886 about 4,000 made. Sr. range 10,300-25,700 shared with, New House and New Police. Barrel, 2-1/4" For the New House, Various lengths for New Police with ejector on all but snubbies. I think you have a New Police with New House stocks. Looks like you did well on the price.

·
Colt Archivist
1,094 Posts
JohnnyP - Yes, the New Police & New House models are differentiated in the shipping ledgers, and they do share the same serial number range. We do VERY few letters on them - maybe half a dozen a year? It's been quite a while since I can recall doing one last. Lots of shipments to England, and stateside shipments tend to be your standard Hartley & Graham shipments. On a side note, there was one interesting one that was sold to a Colt employee in 1880-something, and remained in the family at least until it was lettered a year or two back.

krag96 - correct - the New Police was differentiated by the ejector and it looks to me to be a New Police with New House, or aftermarket stocks.

I really like the longer barrel, 4 1/2" New Police with ejector blued, like THIS ONE that Julia's had a while back.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info & auction reference. I was motivated to go down into my shop & take the grips off & cylinder out. Grips inside look like other Colt grips & have no numbers scratched inside. I found the beautiful blue mainspring interesting how it loops around to interface with a strut screw from the butt. I ran a patch thru the bore & it is perfect like new, now oiled. Chambers likewise, had a lot of dust in them. Not that I would sell it but I was even more pleased seeing prices paid for the same in nice condition ---->

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
What a little Gem!

And, being in .38 Center Fire, it would be very easy to get some Brass, and load some Rounds for it in Black Powder and try it out on some Tin Cans on the Fence Post Tops..!

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oyeboten -- I been thinking about that but not on top of fence posts, might hit someone's cow couple hundred yards away if I missed or closer if I didn't ----->

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some follow-on info -- here is a copy from Collectors Firearms of the short version of the same pistol priced $2450, with etched panel other side of the barrel "Colt New .38". Note also grips plainly checkered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts