Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I need help with a King Cobra. I have a snub nose that is having a problem. When you fully load it and either try to use it in double action mode, or cock the hammer back, the cylinder does not always advance forward and jams up. If I use my finger to assist the cylinder a bit it works fine.

The strange part, to me, is that if you do it with the gun empty no problems at all - it works fine. I thought it might be the ammo so I loaded spent fired casings and no problem there either. Why only with live rounds?

What would cause this and how does one fix this?

Thanks in advance.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Is there perhaps build up in the chambers that keeps live rounds from seating fully? You didn't mention caliber. Shooting .38s in a .357 can cause that. Can you see the live round brass engaging the frame as the cylinder advances, but not the empties? Or is it just the primer area? Is there noticeable end shake? More questions than answers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I had this problem with a MK.III Official Police,with recessed chambers.Cylinder has a ring surrounding all 6 "holes";not indivdual recesses.). There is very little head space,and a primer that is protruding " a hair",will cause the cylinder to jam.

Check those rounds,and see if they will fire/function in another.38/.357,if you have one.

Also,make sure there is no crud underneath the ejector star and rear of cylinder.

Hope this helps.

Bud

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, should have provide a bit more info. No 38 specials fire in this pistol. Cylinder insides very clean, no visable rings.

I did not see any raised primers. It seemed to do it with all the ammo I tried. It was flat nosed 357 mags C&S.

If the primers were raised, when I put in the empty casings, would I have not seen the problem again when I was dry firing it? With the empty casings and dry firing it, no problem was observed.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
I would say not necessarily. I believe the primers could be driven in by the cartridge recoil. Do some investigation. Run a good edge like a steel rule across the end of a live round and a spent round and determine if primer protrusion difference is noticeable. Still have to ask if you can observe where the binding engagement is. Can you see the brass or primer of a live round engage the frame as the cylinder advances. There could be other theories, but you need to definitively discount the obvious ones. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
I once had a similar problem where either the primers were not seated fully, or the primer pockets were oversized (this was factory ammo) so after firing a round or two the primers backed out just enough under recoil to drag against the frame. Just bad ammo. You should also make sure that the bullets are seated and crimped so the OAL is correct and they aren't moving under recoil. HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts