Colt Forum banner

Help with markings on 69 Python

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  gatewayad 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi New here and have a question, i have searched but have not found much, I recently acquired a 69 (5 digit pre letter) 948XX Python and all the markings are color filled in gold, I am assuming this is aftermarket and as i have read pretty easy to safely remove with Hoppes and a nylon brush without hurting the finish. it is on all three areas both sides of the barrel and the pony
Before i do it just want to check with some of the experts to make sure i should remove it or just leave it alone. also the left grip was altered to better accept a speed loader, very professional looking job but i am pretty sure it was aftermarket again unless someone thinks it could have been done at the factory.
any help would be appreciated
Joe
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
Colt didn't apply gold fill in stampings on production guns, but would possibly do it on a special order gun.
Most cases, it was done by the owner.

Removal can be done with a solvent-proof toothbrush and some lacquer thinner. This will not harm the bluing in any way, but don't let it leak into the action or barrel and apply a lube after to prevent rust.
Lacquer thinner will work much better and faster then bore solvent, which may not attack the fill material. Some of these fill materials are lacquer based and bore solvent may not work.

As for the fill itself, whether to leave it or remove it is totally up to you. Some people think it adds a touch of class, some people hate it. Do what YOU want.

Same holds for the grips. It's unlikely that this was done by Colt, most likely by an owner.

#3 ·
thanks for the info, the only other thing different i noticed is under the serial number there are two (stamped) initials that i am assuming were put on at different times since they are not lined up even a V and an O i'm guessing these are inspectors initials and dont know if it's 2 different people since most of the ones i have seen have only one initial below the serial number.

#6 ·
Both are done after market by owner. I personally wouldn't remove the gold, I think it looks nice. I have the gold color wax sticks which is used to place that into the writing and do do on my guns. I like it and doesn't harm the gun.

#7 ·
I did find out that the grip was altered by the last owner years ago to help with speed loading but they didn't remember doing the gold as he said he wasn't an embellishment type of person but thanks for the help it is appreciated. I will ad a couple pics in the pic post.
Also I agree KMKCOLT I think it looks kinda nice also, plus some of the above removal methods scare me a little with the "lube after to prevent rust" i don't want to remove the blue underneath

last question, does the alteration to the grip drop the value dramatically, other than that the grips look almost brand new for 45 years old
thanks again
Joe

#9 ·
No need to worry about damaging the blue with solvents like lacquer thinner or paint thinner.
They can't harm bluing and make great cleaners.

The "Lube after use to prevent rust" is just a reminder that solvents will remove any lubricants and you need to replace it to prevent degreased metal from rusting.
The solvents won't harm the metal but not applying a thin coat after removing the gold fill could allow the gun to rust.

I kept a small lidded container of lacquer thinner on my bench for a good many years to use to clean small parts like trigger assemblies and Colt rear sights....and to remove gold and silver fill from blued guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.