Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this 1917. I've attached several pictures. It has the "AA" which I believe is Augusta Arsenal which means it has been re-arsenaled at some time. What has me confused is the serial number on the heel (13XXX) doesn't match the other serial numbers on the barrel, cylinder, or frame, which all match. The are assembly numbers (163,XXX) on the cylinder and frame that are approx. 150,000 higher than the other number (4XXX). Any info would be appreciated. Which serial number do I use to date this? Also, I see no colt logo. Thanks, Ryan
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Starting pistol Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Revolver

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, and your confusion is understandable.

The number on the frame and cylinder crane (163xxx) are the Colt's factory serial number for the revolver, not assembly numbers.

The number on the butt, or heel (13xxx), is the US Army number.

Colt's considered the 1917 just a variant of the New Service and thus numbered it within the New Service serial number range, starting at around 150,000. S&W, on the other hand, considered their 1917 as a separate model with serial numbers starting at 1.

The Army numbers on the S&W 1917 were the same as the factory serial numbers, starting with 1. The Army numbers on the Colt's 1917 also started at 1, but, since the factory serial numbers were already at 150,000, the Army numbers are approximately 150,000 lower than the serial number.

The 4 digit numbers, which should be on the barrel, frame, crane, back of the cylinder (under the extractor), on the shaft of the ejector rod when extended and on the hammer and trigger (the last two only visible when those parts are out of the gun) were added during the re-build in order to keep the fitted parts together for re-assembly. The Rampant Colt was likely polished away during that process.

One of our members, Haggis, should be along soon and can better elaborate on this for you.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
up196, that was a very good description of the OP's gun, and I can't think of any way to improve upon it.:)

Ryan, Welcome to the Forum. I do a good bit of research on these guns, and yours is of particular interest to me. It has both the "AA" mark and rebuild numbers indicating an arsenal rebuild. While I have seen a few rebuilt guns with both, there are not many of them. I maintain a research database on M1917's and would like to add your gun's data to the database. Nothing in the database connects a particular gun with its owner. If you will, please PM me the full Colt serial number (163xxx), Army service number (13xxx), and rebuild number (4xxx). I will send you the week the gun was delivered to the Government, and the number of guns in that shipment.

Regards,

Buck

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Hi RyanC73,

Good looking old m1917!

Fun to see an Arsenal rebuild which is still 'Blue' too ( and by the look of it, never re-Finished even )...so many ended up being Parkerized ( which is it's own look, and I like those too, but, jus' sayin'...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I collect mostly WWII but have expanded into American military, Civil War through WWII.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi RyanC73,

Good looking old m1917!

Fun to see an Arsenal rebuild which is still 'Blue' too ( and by the look of it, never re-Finished even )...so many ended up being Parkerized ( which is it's own look, and I like those too, but, jus' sayin'...)
Actually, I bought it with the thought of refinishing it. I know this is a sin, but it seemed like a fun project.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
up196, that was a very good description of the OP's gun, and I can't think of any way to improve upon it.:)

Ryan, Welcome to the Forum. I do a good bit of research on these guns, and yours is of particular interest to me. It has both the "AA" mark and rebuild numbers indicating an arsenal rebuild. While I have seen a few rebuilt guns with both, there are not many of them. I maintain a research database on M1917's and would like to add your gun's data to the database. Nothing in the database connects a particular gun with its owner. If you will, please PM me the full Colt serial number (163xxx), Army service number (13xxx), and rebuild number (4xxx). I will send you the week the gun was delivered to the Government, and the number of guns in that shipment.

Regards,

Buck
Awesome, I'll PM you after I have met the 5 post requirement.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Ryan, I'm going to vote with Oyeboten that the blue is original - rebuilt but not refinished, this is an unusual gun.

One more thing - the ejector rod knob is not original, and not the right type. Luckily, reproduction ejector knobs for M1917's are available, and relatively inexpensive.

Buck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts