Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to help a good friend of mine out, one of my best friends. My good friend whom is much older than me picked this up awhile back. He mainly collects 1st gen SAA's. He wanted me to post pics and ask you guy's expertise on it. Appears to be a Colt 1878 in 44 Colt, yes 44 Colt, at first glance, but there are some slight differences. He is hoping it actually came out of the Colt factory, but I told him not to get his hopes up. I hope I can give him some good news. He said no matter what he was happy with it, but he had never seen a copy anywhere near this quality. Of course he knows Much more about these than I do, but most do because I know absolutely NOTHING about 1878s lol. Notice the address line on top looks good, but notice how it starts with Col's instead of Colt's. This was the very first thing I noticed when he showed it to me. Sorry for the poor photos, but it was last minute at the end of the gun show when everybody was leaving so I had to work fast. We forgot about it and I was trying to get them took FAST for him before everybody had to leave. It has a proof mark on the barrel and the frame where they meet which I had an exceptionally poor pic of it. Whats weird is the guy at the gunshow who is suppose to be one of the 2 most knowledgeable there (most consider him the most knowledgeable) didn't even notice anything different with it??? What are your opinions? What is it? Where was it made? Thanks Guys.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Revolver Gun Trigger Revolver Shotgun Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory Revolver Shotgun Metal

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More Pics

More Pics, More to come:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More Pics #3

More pics with one more to come: Auto part Bicycle part Revolver Hand Crankset Trigger Helmet Revolver Tire Auto part Metal Rim Pipe

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last 2 Pics

Last ones:

Auto part Bumper Automotive lighting Headlamp Metal

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
That address line is the 1st clue. There are several things which point to the fact that this is some sort of copy. Are you sure it's chambered for .44 Colt? None were made in that caiber. .44-40 and .44 Russian were the only 44's. The etched panel seen in your pics was never used. The serial# is stamped the wrong way on the butt. Caliber marking is never on frame, but on triggergaurd. There may be some other things as well.

I think your buddy is going to be a little disappointed, because I don't think this pistol came out of Colt. Sorry....

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are you sure it's chambered for .44 Colt? None were made in that caiber. .44-40 and .44 Russian were the only 44's. The etched panel seen in your pics was never used.

I think your buddy is going to be a little disappointed, because I don't think this pistol came out of Colt. Sorry....
Yes he said for a fact it was chambered in 44 Colt, which is whats so strange. I think this is what got his hopes up a little bit, thought it may be some type of experiment or prototype of some sort :)...
As to the last part, That's what I figured too.

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Even if it had been so - it would've been properly marked, and with no proof mark.

A lot of fake Colts came out of Mexico and Europe - some good, some great - and some not so much.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Definite copy. Cylinder should not have locking notches on its outside. Also, "pony" is wrong. And that's just in the first 3 or 4 pics.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yes he said for a fact it was chambered in 44 Colt, which is whats so strange. I think this is what got his hopes up a little bit, thought it may be some type of experiment or prototype of some sort :)...
As to the last part, That's what I figured too.
Could it be .44 Henry? That was fairly popular in Mexico and Cent. /S. America.

EDIT:
Or not. The (rather blunt and possibly non-functional) firing pin seems to be CF.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could it be .44 Henry? That was fairly popular in Mexico and Cent. /S. America.

EDIT:
Or not. The (rather blunt and possibly non-functional) firing pin seems to be CF.
Thanks for the input. I figured it was a copy, but he wanted me to post it on here to find out for sure and any info if it wasn't. I told him I would and I am a man of my word. He is positive it is 44 Colt which makes it so unusual. Actually the guy whom he got it off of, gave him some original 44 Colt rounds with it. He is very familiar with all the old calibers and doubled checked it. He collects all types of antique guns. His favorites are Colt SAA's, Old Winchester levers, and old black powder stuff. If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, I believe he may have fired it once. I know he said he didn't want to shoot many of them up because they were hard to find. Would like to here more opinions about where they think it is made. Whats weirdest to me is the address, I've seen other copies (most crudely done) which didn't mind using the Colt name at all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
As stated ,many Colt copies were made for sale in Mexico.Most all in one 44 or another since only Federales were allowed to have 45's.Speculation is that they were made in either Spain or Mexico.Most are poor quality but some were very close to Colt in quality.Doesn't have as great a value as a Colt,but still a valuable addition IMO to any older Colt collection.Actually, much rarer and probably much better association to the "Old West".I wouldn't shoot it ,tho.I used to collect these copies while I worked in Mexico and still have a couple of the peacemaker copies.I would value his at $500-$800.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is a Copy. The shape of the trigger is not Colt to. The cilinderslots are even a give away. Nice made copy. I have seen much worce than this one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A lot of fake Colts came out of Mexico and Europe - some good, some great - and some not so much.
It was the same way with Smith and Wesson Model 3 top breaks during this era. Many many knockoffs coming out of Europe with sketchy markings that would fool the average passerby unless you took your time to study the rollmarks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts