Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, need a little help been all over ther site looking for an answer and not finding much.

Just picked up a 77 blue python and none of the 3 screws i want to remove to do a detail cleaning will budge,
Almost buggered the cylinder screw it is really stuck in there and so are the 2 side plate screws
I have left cpl on overnight and still wont budge
Tried making even tighter and then unscrewing still no go
You can tell they have never been removed and i can tell by peeking up from inside the grip i see sludge.
I clp'd the snot out of it up all the holes but would like to get it open
Any other suggestions would be great

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Dfarriswheel will be along soon enough to save the day. If he can't stear you in the right direction Colt would be the only solution if all other home remedies fail.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys not familliar with kroil, as far as screwdrivers and punches i'm set they are just not budging
And Marc I was hoping not to have to send it in but if I do I have a 6" with a loose cylinder release that i have to push closed to lock so it needs to go in for repair, guess i could send both in at the same time if i cant get them to budge just hate spending the money on a 90% shooter if i can clean it myself.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,467 Posts
Here's some possible help.

First, before you dink up hard to replace Colt screws, buy the correct Magna-Tip bits from Brownell's.
You'll need the following bits. which will fit most all Colt DA revolvers:

.150-3
.180-3
.210-3

MAGNA-TIP SUPER SET BITS | Brownells

These are real gunsmiths driver bits that won't wreck the screw slots and prevent the driver from breaking the screw or camming up and failing to loosen the screw.
Usually, because of the way gunsmith's driver bits fit the screw, the screw will come out.
Make sure to keep the driver at 90 degrees to the screw. Don't let the handle tilt.

Try putting the driver bit in the screw slot and giving the driver a "slight" small rap with a plastic screwdriver handle.
This will cause vibrations that may help break it loose. NOTE "rap" not a hard smack that may damage the threads.

Next, put a good drop of a good penetrating fluid on the screws. Kroil is the best, but most any hardware store penetrating fluid will do.
Give it over night to work.

Try touching a soldering iron to a screw until it gets fairly warm. NOTE: WARM not red hot.
This may melt old lube and help break loose any rust.

If all else fails, put a driver bit in a drill press. UNPLUG the press and lower the quill until the bit is seated in the slot.
Use a rod in the chuck to turn the chuck while you keep moderate down pressure on the quill.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Kroil is formulated to get into the tiniest of places i guarantee it will make those screws just spin right out even let it sit over night ,just add some to the screw head with a Q-TIP.

Thanks guys not familliar with kroil, as far as screwdrivers and punches i'm set they are just not budging
And Marc I was hoping not to have to send it in but if I do I have a 6" with a loose cylinder release that i have to push closed to lock so it needs to go in for repair, guess i could send both in at the same time if i cant get them to budge just hate spending the money on a 90% shooter if i can clean it myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.