Colt Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thanks for pm. i'll give it a try. i can't reply with a pm until i get my post count up.

Nice old Colt. Don't buff it up or clean with anything abrasive as it will hurt the value. Bit I would spray it down with a good penetrating oil.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Very cool old revolver. Are you sure you can't share any of the story with us. I sure wouldn't take less than $1500 for it but then I'd probably not want to part with it for any amount. I don't see anybody giving more than $3000, unless it belonged to one of Sam Bass's "pals" or a Kingfisher hand or some such. Does it actually still time properly and have the C-O-L-T 4 clicks when you cock it now that you got it freed up ??

I really like it. Thanks very much for sharing it with us. It is just so unusual to see them as they were "preserved" by the old timers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very cool old revolver. Are you sure you can't share any of the story with us. I sure wouldn't take less than $1500 for it but then I'd probably not want to part with it for any amount. I don't see anybody giving more than $3000, unless it belonged to one of Sam Bass's "pals" or a Kingfisher hand or some such. Does it actually still time properly and have the C-O-L-T 4 clicks when you cock it now that you got it freed up ??

I really like it. Thanks very much for sharing it with us. It is just so unusual to see them as they were "preserved" by the old timers.
wow, thanks for the kind comments. i'd love to share its history if i knew it, but neither i nor anyone else in the family knows anything about it. it came with a holster that i will take some pictures of and post in a day or two.

it doesn't time properly. cylinder rotation is iffy, and i only count 3 clicks when it's cocked.

we also found among grandpa's things a belgian (i think) copy of a s&w break open revolver in 44-40. it's in somewhat better condition than the colt. it has no serial number.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
holster

IMG_4876t.jpg IMG_4874t.jpg IMG_4878t.jpg

here's a couple of photos of the holster that came with the gun. it's marked "Royal" on the front in script and has 8 brass buttons. the belt loop is stamped with the number 224 and under that what appears to be 3/4.

i'm hoping the holster might give some clues on the history of the gun. maybe i should start a new thread on that subject.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
With the grip notches and holster I think someone liked the number 8. Sorry, very cool though.
i didn't notice that there were 8 notches until you pointed it out. i just thought they were a cheesy decoration, and still suspect this is the case

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Would be something to have the history, esp in light of those grip notches.....and what they usually represent.
sadly it looks like the history is lost. re the notches, if they were intended to represent kills, why would you mark it on both grips? note however that there is also an 'X' carved into the top of the left grip.

·
Registered
154 Posts
View attachment 614773 View attachment 614775 View attachment 614777

here's a couple of photos of the holster that came with the gun. it's marked "Royal" on the front in script and has 8 brass buttons. the belt loop is stamped with the number 224 and under that what appears to be 3/4.

i'm hoping the holster might give some clues on the history of the gun. maybe i should start a new thread on that subject.

any thoughts?

Oh, you're killing me, it was in that holster and grandpa had a big Belgian .44 too ! Man that rig has that "been up the trail" vibe in spades. Pictures of the Belgian too please.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
i have a rusty single action that belonged to my wife's grandfather. i believe it is 44-40, but can't find it stamped anywhere. the barrel has been shortened and it's missing some parts. the serial number is stamped on the frame and grip in 3 places as 11208, and on the barrel and cylinder as 1208. can any of you experts tell me the significance of this difference and what they mean? also, considering it's condition, does it have any value?

thanks a lot for y'alls help
View attachment 613725 View attachment 613727 View attachment 613729 View attachment 613731 View attachment 613733

At somewhere near #10225 Colt's instructions were to stamp only 4 digits on the barrel and cylinder (not 5 as formerly done). I wonder if this is a "U. S." gun with a tiny "A" under the trigger guard SN, right behind the hammer on backstrap, on the periphery of cylinder, and underside of barrel? The "U. S." to the right of the patent dates may be obscured by rust, or may have been removed. Ainsworth ("A") was the dominant Government Inspector for the early Colt SAA purchases.

Most likely this is a 45 Colt, and you can confirm that by peering through a cylinder chamber.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Oh, you're killing me, it was in that holster and grandpa had a big Belgian .44 too ! Man that rig has that "been up the trail" vibe in spades. Pictures of the Belgian too please.
been kinda busy lately, but i'll try to get some pics of the belgian 44 if it's of interest.

thanks for your pm, but i can't reply until i post more comments. if you send me another pm with your email address i will reply that way.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts