Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Friend currently lives overseas and he own a Colt Python Revolver, and a Colt Diamondback Revolver. He wants me to buy him original (OEM) Main springs for each of the guns. that is the simple part. the hard part is that he also wants me to buy him special trigger springs that lighten the trigger pull. He says these springs makes the trigger so sensitive that a feather can pull it. Does anyone here know where to buy these spare parts.

·
Premium Member
6,542 Posts
Not quite that easy

The mainspring on both of those guns has to be relieved to lighten the trigger pull. The V-mainspring IS the trigger spring in those actions. OEM mainsprings will give you a OEM type trigger pull both in double action and single action. Trapper gun springs used to sell a spring set for the D frame guns which includes the diamondback that claimed it would lighten the trigger pull but I didn't really notice much change in my gun. But back then I didn't have a trigger pull gauge either. With the Python when you lighten the mainspring and shorten the bolt spring for a lighter trigger pull, you also lighten the hammer blow to the primer and can have inconsistant ignition with some .357 ammunition especially in double action. One can alter the original springs in either gun themselves, but if you go too much then you will get misfires especially in double action. Then having an original mainspring on hand to get it back into firing condition would be desirable. For someone who has never taken one of these guns apart, it would be advisable to get the Colt DA shop manual volume number 1 to understand all thats involved.

If you wanted an original mainspring for either gun, Colt should be able to supply them.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would be very careful trying to lighten the trigger pull. You don't want to lighten it too much and create what is referred to as a hair trigger. It is more important to have a smooth trigger than a light one. A smooth trigger can be controled, a light one may or may not be controled. A trigger pull less than 4 pounds could be dangerous. I would stick to a pull weight of around 6 - 8 pounds with a smooth action. Many years ago cops used to lighten the trigger pulls of their duty weapons in order to score a higher qualification score. The problem was that the lightened trigger usually meant a light hammer strike or an unintentional discharge. The unintentional discharge usually caused someone to go to the hospital or mourge. Many departments shelled out a lot of cash settleing those law suits. Have your friend invest in a trigger job from a revolver smith than truly knows Colts. It is somewhat expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mainsprings are critical

When we were located next door to the NYCPD equipment section ( We were the Colt Warranty Repair station ) and had occasion to replace hundreds of mainsprings in both D frame revolvers and E frame guns.
The particular problem of lightening the trigger pull by altering the shape of the spring was and remains very dangerous.
Highly polished and properly fitted hammer and triggers with factory mainsprings gave us consistant trigger pulls between 3.5 and 4 pounds on the single action weights.
Play it safe!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bullseye Spring Kits are or were made by Trapper Gun; 30183 Gratiot Ave; Roseville, MI 48066; (586) 776-7581 which is run by Lynn Alexiou. Natchez Shooters Supply carries these kits at:

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=BY&category=436

I had one in a Python and it worked without problems reducing double action maybe 1.8 pounds. For a truly light action probably be better to have a gunsmith who knew what he was REALLY doing to tune it using a modified stock spring. These are few and far between in the states so may be next to impossible to find overseas. At any rate all the caveats above apply. I don't ever recall seeing a spring kit for D frames but perhaps they were discontinued way back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bullseye Spring Kits are or were made by Trapper Gun; 30183 Gratiot Ave; Roseville, MI 48066; (586) 776-7581 which is run by Lynn Alexiou. Natchez Shooters Supply carries these kits at:

http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?brand=BY&category=436

I had one in a Python and it worked without problems reducing double action maybe 1.8 pounds. For a truly light action probably be better to have a gunsmith who knew what he was REALLY doing to tune it using a modified stock spring. These are few and far between in the states so may be next to impossible to find overseas. At any rate all the caveats above apply. I don't ever recall seeing a spring kit for D frames but perhaps they were discontinued way back.

This is exactly the kind of kit I am looking for. Anyone know where i can get it from. or any similar items. and By the way, thanks to all of you for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.