Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was looking for help with determining a fair value for a very nice Python for a family friend. I was asked by her to help clear out some of her late husband's guns, and was shocked to see this one. According to her it is unfired, but I have no way of telling if that's the case. Anyway, it is a 6" blued Python in .357. No case or papers, located in Illinois. Her late husband was a retired Chicago policeman and the gun has been in storage for over 20 years from what I am told. From running the serial number it appears to be from 1964.

I'm looking to get a good appraisal for her to help her get an honest sale price for it, I know little about the market other than they are valuable. I can get more pictures if they will help. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/swnHVYAmtbJ3Sduh6

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Laid flat pictures directly over the gun in a lighter background might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It's a nice shooter grade python that has been fired quite a bit and should be priced accordingly.

The blueing looks nice and there is no holster wear. But, there are finger prints on the cylinder and elsewhere that may have etched the finish - can say for sure. The screw heads on the gun look good with a little buggering on the grips. It also has had a trigger shoe added which is a detractor and will leave marks on the trigger. Although the gun shows no holster wear, the cylinder, barrel, and grips show substantial use.

Sorry to say, it will not bring collector value … price it as a nice, well used shooter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice old Python looks like it could use a wipe down. I'd check and see if it has the " hollow" underlug. Not sure when that went away. But would definitely help value wise. Also as stated earlier better photos(after wipe down) would help. Good luck!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The hollow under lug was exclusive to only 1955-1957 so if it has one theres something very wrong. I dont entirely agree with TFly's assessment of its condition. While its definitely been "loved" over its life I would say it's a fairly high end shooter. I think you will be surprised what a nice rub down with a silicone cloth and then some renaissance wax will do with that gun. Holster wear or use wear that literally takes the finish away is the worst because once that finish is gone theres no way to bring it back. All the light marks and finger prints should be able to be worked out even if it takes a long time of rubbing and buffing because they can only have gone so deep into the finish.

I would say if this was my gun and I was going to be selling it I would take a nice afternoon and give the gun a complete cleaning inside and out. Make sure the internals are nice and oiled up and give it a generous coat of renaissance wax on everything including the grips. See what I have from there but I think it would turn out pretty good. After that I think around $2100 is a fair price for that gun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would pay $2300 all day long for that Python. Pre letter Pythons still bring a premium here and that is a very nice condition revolver.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The hollow under lug was exclusive to only 1955-1957 so if it has one theres something very wrong. I dont entirely agree with TFly's assessment of its condition. While its definitely been "loved" over its life I would say it's a fairly high end shooter. I think you will be surprised what a nice rub down with a silicone cloth and then some renaissance wax will do with that gun. Holster wear or use wear that literally takes the finish away is the worst because once that finish is gone theres no way to bring it back. All the light marks and finger prints should be able to be worked out even if it takes a long time of rubbing and buffing because they can only have gone so deep into the finish.

I would say if this was my gun and I was going to be selling it I would take a nice afternoon and give the gun a complete cleaning inside and out. Make sure the internals are nice and oiled up and give it a generous coat of renaissance wax on everything including the grips. See what I have from there but I think it would turn out pretty good. After that I think around $2100 is a fair price for that gun.

My 59 Python has a hollow lug--- never heard exclusive to 55-57.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am wrong about the underlug dates. My mistake. Read a bad quote somewhere I fear.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The Python has definately been fired: all the tell-tale signs are there to be seen.
Nice pics by the way. There is leading in the force cone, the breechface shows signs of cartridge cases blasting off the bluing there, & the obvious cylinder stop ring on the cylinder.

A good wipedown should show what condition the Colts Royal blue finish is like. I like it.

Reactions: TFlyboy

·
Registered
268 Posts
It should sell quick, the Pythons moving quick are E series and older. Newer than that seem to sit unless at very good price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts