Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the faux aged ivory micarta grip grips3.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
grips2.jpg grips.jpg s I am getting from Collin's Grips for my 1950 OP 5" barrel. I think they will look good and will post some photos after I get them fitted on the pistol. Again, thanks for all of your help in locating the grips I wanted.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Those look good. I like working with Micarta, it shapes well and polishes to a nice sheen. They also feel good to the hand, plus it's tough. Collins does a good job and the price is right. You'll enjoy them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Merwin,
You can probably see up high on the backstrap where the micarta has been carved and shows white. Do you know of any easy way to stain it so it matches the aged look of the grips? Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Merwin,
You can probably see up high on the backstrap where the micarta has been carved and shows white. Do you know of any easy way to stain it so it matches the aged look of the grips? Thanks.
When you're ready to polish it, use a soft wheel and white compound. It will polish up to a shine and as you rebuff the whole thing they will lighten. As the air reacts to it, they should darken again. Don't know if Collins uses anything on them, but most chemicals will not react to the resins used to make Micarta. I suspect it's just natural aging you see. I've had resin stag grips do the same thing, just takes a little time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Merwin,
I was assuming that the micarta grips had some sort of treatment to make them age and the white area was where the grips had been milled and exposed the inner micarta. I was just trying to get them all to match and make them look normal. Maybe I'll contact Don before he finishes them and see if he can take care of it. I'm sure he knows a lot more than I ever will about grips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts