Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here\'s a pic of a nice Wheelgun I picked up this weekend

Here's something you don't see everyday. At least I had not seen one before. It's a Blue King Cobra in a 2 1/2 version. This is a beauty. It was a must have when I saw her.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
Re: Here\'s a pic of a nice Wheelgun I picked up this weekend

Nice.
Of the regular production King Cobra's, probably the smallest production was of the 2 1/2" blued model.

This should appreciate in value.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Very nice.
I don't recall seeing smooth stocks on the King Cobra. I'm not a big fan of plastic or rubber, but the one's on my snubbie feel great. The size and everything feels just right. Did you buy yours new ?
I wish the guy I bought mine from would have kept the box. He must have bought these and stuffed them in the safe and tossed the boxes out.
Thanks for sharing.
Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
794 Posts

Hi Jeff. Mine did come with the stocks you see. Yours is a standard King Cobra & that is why they came with the rubber combat (Pachmeyer) grips.

Mine pictured is from the Custom Shop hence the custom wooden stocks. A couple of things to notice: See the medallion on yours. That is the style that was used around 1986 for several years. It is often referred to as the 150 Anniversary medallions. So assuming your grips are original to the gun I say yours was made some where between 1986 & 1988.

The medallions on mine only came from a custom shop gun. It is not likely you will ever see a set like the ones on my gun (with those medallions) for sale anywhere. Yes my gun is brand new unfired with all the original stuff. It has become a safe queen only because of its relative rarity.

Mine is actually called a King Cobra CCL. In Roman numerals it stands for 250, the total number produced. The CCL is also supposed to stand for 2.50 as in inches for the barrel length.

But the bottom line is mine is just another blued King Cobra snubby like yours. They are both totally cool!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That's very interesting. Thanks for the info.
The only problem I'm having with the date that you are giving me for my KC is that the info I had previosly said that the 2 1/2 inch barrel was introduced in 1990.
One more thing I found interesting is that the serial number on my KC is less than 300. It's GKC2**. Do you have anywhere that I can pull a date from on that ?
Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

I don't know if this pic will stay up, but here's a Lew Horton version. The Combat Cobra in polished stainless steel.

Another unfired safe queen tucked qway.

[This message has been edited by Majic (edited 06-14-2004).]

·
Registered
9 Posts

I picked up a 2.5" stainless KC a few months ago. I like mine a lot and enjoy taking it to the range. I'm giving it up to a gunsmith today to have reduced power springs installed, the hammer bobbed and the inside clean and lubed.

I'm thinking of using it for IDPA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts