Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: Here\'s something Else I\'ve Never Seen Before:

I believe the Hawkeye only lasted a year or 2 and is quite rare. The cartridge also lived a short life. The very early ones had a round cylinder like most other revolvers. The rotating block came out later as they were only single shots and made for faster loading plus an effort to ease the setback situation of firing bottlenecked cartridges in revolvers (like the S&W M53).

·
Registered
778 Posts

For some reason a bunch of Hawkeyes have been put up for sale in the last couple of weeks on the auctions, and on the Ruger classified forum section. I feel like they have pretty well hit their value high for some time in the future. Perhaps that may be the reason some collectors are unloading them. They made a nice varmit hunting pistol, and were available with a Bushnell scope. Some are for sale with the scope mounted on them.

The prices you are seeing $2,000.00 are about normal for that gun.

We collect Rugers too, and I do believe the advent of the new Ruger flat top models has depressed the values of the old model flat tops. Now anyone who wants one, can get a Ruger flat top for $450.00 or thereabouts. Quality of the new models in my opinion is nowhere near that of the old ones. The black plastic stocks will wear your hand out in a hurry with full loads. Wood stocks on the old models roll in your hand, and absorb the recoil much better.

I think we Colt collectors should be happy they are not going to make Pythons again. Some of the same would probably happen to our old Python values if Colt did.

Bob

·
Registered
946 Posts

I used to own a hawkeye many years ago, had to sell it to pay a divorce lawer. They are a blast to shoot, concusion almost gives you a nosebleed, they really step out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts