Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from a country that has outlorded firearms for the everyday Citizen, but iam am i a difernt country looking after a long time freand house and have found his colt revolver 38spl.(stub barrel i think)
and have since had some problems that have nothing to do with me but as i am here i am the new target and i have in my mind (the only one that i have learned i can pritty much trust)that i may have need in the worst of sercomstance to use the colt.
it is in bad condition dirty and needs taking apart. this is not the problem, i can find online how to clean it. (but if you have any tips i would realy appriciate it)
the thing that i am worrying a about is the age and condition of the ammo.
they have all been kicking around in a draw for the last couple of year if not more and are dirty. the bullet (iam sure you have a more technical word for it 'sorry') is dark in couler i can only assume that it is lead but i can not comferm this.
can you advise me on weather this ammo is going to blow up in my face or as i have read on one google search shells age like fine wine (this quote i have already taken with a very large pinch of salt but i still may be wrong) please advise.
thank you fred.
(sorry, have not use real name as not sure they are legal in my current country of residace)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
First off welcome.
Now as to a quick answer, if the case (not the bullet) is still shiny and clean I wouldn't worry as long if they are factory loads and not reloads someone has made. To be totally safe you should purchase a new box of factory ammo from a store.
Becareful using the firearm in self defence. Make sure you fully understand the laws where you are about the use of a firearm against another person. If you break any of the laws you may find yourself in very deep trouble after you have protected yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi majic thanxs for the welcome,
as to condition of ammo shell i amagine can be clean and would not make much diferance the dark couler and grim i was refering to the tip of the shell maybe that might give some indication of weather it would be safe or not. also cannot bye more ammo.

as to the self defence.
better him then me what ever the consiquence better in trouble then dead. not that i think it will come to that (very unlikley) but better to have a last resort the to be left hanging in the wind.
thanxs fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts