Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, have been visiting this board for some time now... finally became the proud owner of a NIB 4" Blue Python (minor blemish by the cylinder latch )... was thorn between this and a S&W 27, but I was finally seduced by the snake.
I have two question for the forum, not sure if this is the right section...
1. How can i find out my Python DOB (S/N V31XXX)?
2. What is the best .38 and .357 ammunition to use on this gun?
thank you all... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Lemme guess, you must be from Oklahoma.

Welcome to the Forum.

Handloading is what I'd recommend for your Python. I never shoot .38 Special cartridges in my .357 Magnum revolvers. Just a personal preference. I may handload the .357 Magnum down to .38 Special levels on occasion.

Yea Texas Colt shooters!

Bryan McGilvray

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
welcome to the forum /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, your python was made sometime after 1978 which is as far as my book go`s. you might try the dom post in the revolver section i`m sure someone there knows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, that would have been my guess. 1978 is the Copyrights year printer on the instruction manual but was not sure how acurate that would be. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
V31XXX was made in 1978.
The "V" series began that year, and started at V01001.
The year ended at V36736.

The "Best" .38 and .357 ammo depends on WHAT you're using it for.

For practice and plinking, standard power .38 Special works well, is cheap, and is easy on the gun, (and you).

For formal target shooting, a Mid-range Target load with a 148 grain, lead, wad cutter bullet is THE classic revolver target load.

For defense, any of the full Magnum loads with the 125 jacketed grain hollow point, to the new loadings in the 130 grain range that were made for short barreled revolvers work the best.

For a lighter, less recoil and muzzle blast defense load, any of the .38 Special +P loads will do fine.
The classic .38 Special revolver defense load is the .38 Special +P, 158 grain, lead, semi-wad-cutter, hollow point load commonly known as the "FBI, Federal, Chicago, LAPD" etc load.
This is cheap, and is still available.
Another is the +P 125 grain, jacketed hollow point.

A good "all around" load might be the 158 grain Magnum loads. These are full Magnum loads that are easier on the gun than the 125 grain Magnum loads, and are a sort of "do it all" load.

Since the lead bullet loads do tend to lead up revolvers, I recommend buying a Lewis Lead Remover kit from Brownell's, and a couple of Brownell's Bronze chamber brushes.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Every word dfariswheel said!
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the python. You'll find a lot of python fanciers here. Now you just need to get a diamondback, and a detective special and a cobra and.....and.....Oh never mind!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you dfariswhell, most likely will only use the gun for casual target shooting and want to go very easy on the gun. Will keep some 357 magnum for home protection.
again, thak you all for the quick replies /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts