Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy i did some trading today and traded my stainless king cobra 6 inch for a python blued 4 inch. My pythone has a SSn of E79xx My guess is this gun was made in 1970. My questions are this i have been told older pythons are more disireble. is this true and what years are considered more desirible. How does mine rate? also i have heard Royal blue what is it and is thier a diferance? My blue is nice like a mirror.

please excuse me i am a long time S&W guy just getting into colts. python is a I frame correct? My king cobra Is a I/E frame correct? what is the diferences between the sizes of the frames? could some one explaine to me colt frame sizes?

What would the correct box look like for this gun? thanks guys

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
We welcome new team members every day.

The 50's models are much more desirable as they have all the unusual features. The hollow lug, higher barrel rib, the finish underneath the blueing is much finer and like all Python's....they're custom manufactured. You'll never go wrong with any year of Python.

Now sell those Smith's and buy more Colts!!!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
In order.
Unless you left off an X", E79xx was made in 1970.
The year started at E6301, and ended at E21200.
If your serial is actually E79XXX, it was made in 1974.
That year the numbers started at E61001, and ended at E83700.

Older Pythons are more desirable, mostly in the belief that they were better quality.
The problem is, guns are not vintages of wine.
Guns are individual objects and there ARE no "good" or "bad" years.
There are good or bad quality guns.

Each gun must be judged on IT's individual merits.
It's possible to get a dog made in the 50's and a gem made in the 90's.
"Generally" speaking, you're gun is more likely to be good quality.

The Colt Royal Blue is Colt's finest quality bluing, and is the best of any production revolver ever made.
The actual bluing chemical process is basically the same as used by all other gun makers.

Where the Python finish stands out is in the amount of hand polishing the gun receives.
While a S&W or Ruger is finished, inspected, boxed, and has been shipped, the Python is still in the factory being polished.
Colt always was famous for the skills of their polishing people, and the Python was the best they ever did.
The gun is simply polished with finer and finer grit compounds until it shines like a mirror and there are no machine marks left.

After the bluing process, the gun shines like a BLUE mirror.
This amount of hand work is one reason the Python was the most expensive production revolver of all.

The Colt Python is an "I" frame.
Your King Cobra is an "AA" frame.

Here's Colt's double actions revolver frame sizes:
The "D". Detective Special, Cobra, Diamondback, etc.

The "SF". Colt's last small frame, made of stainless steel, the SF-VI, the DS-II, the Magnum Carry.

The E&I frame. Colt's medium frame gun. Earlier frames were the "E" frame, after a minor change they were renamed the "I" frame. The Official Police, Officer's Models, old model Trooper, the Python.
Since there's not much difference between the "E" and the "I" they're usually lumped in together as the "E&I".

The "J". The Trooper Mark III, Lawman, Metropolitan Police, etc.

The "V". The Trooper Mark V, and the Lawman V.

The "AA", The King Cobra. The "AA" is really nothing more than the "V" made in stainless steel.

The "J,V,AA" framed guns are totally different guns internally than the older guns like the Python.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Yea, what he (dfaris) said. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Welcome aboard.
Trading King Cobras for Pythons ?
Where do I get in on some of that ?
Sounds like you're a pretty good horse (Colt) trader already.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
323 Posts
dfariswheel,
Thanks on behalf of (I'm guessing) LOTS of forum members, for that great history lesson! It's a good example of why this forum is so enjoyable and worthwhile.
Don

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what it was is a good friend of mine he just bought another python, and a andaconda. so he had three pythons and the only snake he did not have was a king cobra. My King Cobra
was clean I would say about 95% he has been after this gun forever. He called me up one night and said i need that king Cobra bad and we worked it out.

No he has all the snakes and i have the one revolver I realy wanted. The only problem with this python is it a 4 inch tube I like 6 inch tubes better but i can live with it. The Python was not a nice as my King Cobra. but after a few Hours of work It perty nice now.

The screws was boogered up and it had a light coat of rust on it. After fixing the screws with a file and using some flitz ( every cloth i used turned rust brown) the gun looks great. after work i have done i would rate it 85% conservitive. the blueing looks great. It just has two scratches on the frame under the grips like a screw driver slip, and on the recoil sheild their are two small specks about the size of a pencil lead where it had rust spots that took the blueing off. it has a small amount of muzzel ware. But she is mechanical sound.

For a staright traid i dont think I did bad. I had 450.00 In the kc.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
For a staright traid i dont think I did bad. I had 450.00 In the kc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You did well on the trade and now there's 2 happy owners.

I've grown to love Simichrome Polishing Paste on blued guns. It's less abrasive then Flitz and leaves a better shine than Flitz. Although Flitz it's still the best for shining up a nickel finish. Try Simichrome, I think you'll like it. You can find it at almost any gun show that displays these kind of goods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool I will have to look for it. another product i love is flitz gun wax. you would be suprised with it. I have had guns i have cleaned well and then wiped them down with gun wax and it pulls out rust. I lve bright blue finishes. the three guns in my collectionm i love best all have bright blue finish. My python , my pre 70's GCNM ,and my S&W 29.
all three of them have butiful finishes. and equaly shine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P.S. all my friends think I am anal retentive when It come to my stuff. especialy cleaning it. I dont think so I think to perserve any gun it need to be keep clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts