Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought it in 2014, there's just something about .22 short target pistols. I looked pretty good in the shop, the price was right so it followed me home. It's in pretty good shape except for the chip out of the left grip. I get it home and then I noticed the box didn't match the gun. Gun is 1953 and box is 1954. How could that have happened? There's no way it left the factory like that. Maybe a mixup at the gun shop? It's possible, I've seen it before. Maybe a collector at some point picking up a period correct box? There were no accessories and the inside of the box is in mint condition. I still like the gun though and maybe I'll shoot it one of these days.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Starting pistol
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory
Font Gas Packaging and labeling Box Metal
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Rectangle
Wood Helmet Audio equipment Gas Hardwood
Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The spot welds on the magazine break in time if shot. My floor plate gave way and i had it re-welded.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
One of my High Standards came with the wrong box too. Still better than no box. All those boxes are collectible today.
May I suggest changing the driving springs, No way to tell how many rounds have been through it. I believe most HS were designed around standard velocity target ammo. If a past owner used HV the slide would of taken a real beating. For a few dollars give it a tune up.
I bet it's a real tack driver, all of mine are.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
That is a good looking Flight King!
Mine is well used in 22LR but shoots like a dream after a spring change.

P.S. If looking for spare magazines, fill up your wallet first and stay far away from Triple K mags.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
My HS H-D Military has been well used and carried over the many years it has been in the family. My wife's Grandfather bought it new at the post PX in 1947. It had some issues with going into full battery when I received it. A new main spring solved that and it performs great now.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I really like High Standard pistols and was into them for a while. I was buying shooter-grade Hamden guns and really enjoying them. Always wanted one of the "ray guns" but never found one within the budget. They are great guns and laser-accurate with standard velocity ammo...when they function. Magazines seem to be the weak spot.
I started loosing interest with the constant tinkering with magazines and the feed lips and sold off most of the ones I had. Kept a GB, an HD-Military and a Flight King. The biggest POS I had was a Duramatic.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Always wanted one of the "ray guns" but never found one within the budget.
When I hear ray gun I picture a Buck Rodgers disintegrator gun.

Would you explain what a High Standard ray gun is?

Reactions: Swamp Yankee
1 - 20 of 20 Posts