Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined because I had questions about a colt I'm buying, and people have been very nice and very helpful. This does seem like a great bunch of people.

I'm not new to guns in general, but I only recently bought my first gun. I grew up in rural missouri and used my Dad's and my brother's rifles & shotguns. Still, I've recently discovered just how ignorant I am about some of the technical aspects -- such as differences in ammo for the same apparent caliber.

My oldest brother awakened me to the importance of our Second Amendment in the grand scheme of things probably 10 or 15 years ago, and I've been a big advocate ever since. But I still did not own any guns. My step-son joined the Marine Reserve a few years ago, and he became a bit of an enthusiast. I even encouraged him. Still, none of my own.

I was starting to feel guilty about NOT owning any.

Well I went on "walkabout" with a couple of my neighbors, plinking in the woods, and decided I needed my own.... so I bought a Marlin .22 Model 60 at a pawn shop. I always figured I should eventually get a pistol, but I'm a nostalgic kind of guy and the modern auto-loaders just didn't appeal to me. And the new revolvers I'd looked at were really far more than I am ready to spend at this time.

While in the pawn shop, I spied this Colt 38 Police Positive, and got curious about it. I figured hey, .38 is ammo you can get, and this is about the size I want, and it "looks like a pistol" -- I'm sure you all know what I mean. Apparently our cap guns we played with as kids were modeled after these guns.

So I went down and applied for a permit, and came back and looked at it again a few days later armed with a cool posting about how to buy a used hand gun, and a flexible LED light. I decided all was well, and then went to do a little more research on these guns. People seemed happy with them. I also confirmed my suspicion that the wood on the butt was not original (but I like it better anyway -- it's oak, and it was done very well -- looks neat.) So I went back and checked out the firing pin (which I'd forgotten to check the first time) and plunked a deposit down to hold it until my permit came through.

Then while researching it a bit more -- that's when I found out about not all .38 ammunition being created equal. Got a little panicked (because the deposit is non-refundable), found some re-assuring information -- but came here to get some final assurance. Whew. Apparently .38 Short/S&W is not terribly hard to come by (I ordered 250 rounds last night /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I don't know... I like the style. Haven't fired one yet, but I could definitely become a Colt fan. Guess I kind of am already since that's what I was drawn to.

-P

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Philmon, welcome aboard and I immediattely have a question for you! (How's that for a change in a member's introduction post? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I read about your Marlin and I am currently looking at one at my gunshop. I primarily want to use it as a plinker, nothing fancy, just to enjoy myself at the range.

Can you tell me a bit about this gun?
I haven't been able to get feedback about the Model 60 here in the Netherlands, so any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're ubiquitous. And people are very very happy with them. Probably the nation's most popular .22 rifle, the model 60.

I've read account after account of people who got them when they were 14 and they still use them regularly as adults. Mine just needed a thorough cleaning. I got it for $75, added a 3-9x40 scope, and it is very consistent... grouping within 1" at 25 yards... probably better since they were all in the same 1" square near the middle.

The Marlin Microgroove rifling (more, smaller grooves) supposedly helps with the gas seal when firing, therefore extracting more energy from the explosion. I don't know if it's true or not, but I took physics and it makes sense.

All I know is they seem to be well built and I've been hard pressed to find anyone to say anything bad about them.

You can get them new at Wally World for maybe $120 to $130-ish (I think, not 100% sure of that price) -- I think used I wouldn't pay more than $100... $80 would probably be more like it for a used one that's not too beat up. Mine was $75 and in good shape, even externally other than some very light pitting on the outside of the barrel. They had another for $85. I think you'll be quite pleased with it. Just make sure you take it apart and clean it well since you're buying it used.

Only two screws need to come out... the one closest to the front of the gun, and the rear-trigger one (the one on the stock behind the trigger doesn't need to come out -- at least not on mine.)

-P

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Thanks for the response, Philmon.

Sad thing is I won't be shopping at Wally World since I live in the Netherlands across the big pond so to speak.

I'll have to cough up 200 Euros for the one I'm after and don't get a heart-attack it's been used! But then again this is the only one I've seen in Holland.

One question remains: Marlin website states that the Model 60 holds 14 rounds in the tube-magazine. My reference book claims it will hold 17. Which one is right?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read something that suggests that they might've recently made the tube longer. But I'd have to research that. Mine holds 13 + 1 in the chamber.

And they fire as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Yeah, it'd be a bit expensive to hop the pond for a .22 rifle.

They may not be nearly as ubiquitous over there. Hey, can you get the serial# from it? We might be able to get a manufacture date on it. Mine was made in 1997.

-P

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'll have to get back on the serialnumber, but that might take a while. Every time I visit the gunstore I get all greedy, but I have to wait until May before I can get it on my license. The shopowner also has a used King Cobra SS 6 inch barrel with serialnumber VK 14xx on sale. I remembered that serialno. very well, but I didn't even checked the number on the Marlin! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

In my recollection the tubemagazine was almost as long as the barrel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, Philmon
Welcome! It sounds to me like you really did your homework on that Colt you bought. It's sure good to hear from someone who studies first, THEN buys. There are lots of tales about sad folks who did it the other way around.
Enjoy the good fellowship and knowledge-sharing here!
Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I could say I'd done ALL of my homework first, but it did work out well in the end in that you can still get .38 S&W's quite readily. That part I HADN'T researched. I didn't think I needed to, as I was thinking "heck, .38? Yeah, that's quite common!" Without really knowing what I was talking about. But yeah, I'm not a terribly rich man and I don't spend even $200 lightly.

I'll post a proper picture of it when I bring it home. It's unique -- the grips were replaced with oak ones. A little heftier than the original ones, which is a plus for me. On top of that, it's kinda pretty.

Alas, my paperwork isn't finished yet. I guess I should be happy I don't live in the Netherlands like our buddy GunSmoke, above. May!!!! Well, we're still the land of the semi-free, and the home of at least a good number of brave people. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was feeling miffed that I might have to wait an extra day or three today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gunsmoke,

I noticed that you never said explicitly that the Marlin you are looking at is a Model 60.

Tell you what, check out my email address (click on my name to look in my profile and get it) and we can talk about this offline since we're really not talking about colts here anymore -- unless the Netherlands Gun Cops are watching your email... in which case I don't think people will mind if you talk about it here. GW & NSA are the only ones watching this here, and frankly, they don't care. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Oh, that's right, this is a public website!!!

There are lots of Marlin models. www.marlinfirearms.com might help you out some. It also turns out Marlin owners have their own forum. Marlin Serial Numbers and their corresponding manufacture dates can be found on this post on the forum.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Philmon, thanks for a marlinforum that's alive and kicking!
Just what I needed. DOB on marlins looks a lot easier compared to Colts.

I -as you- have nothing to fear from the law, we both live in free societies and are not hindered in any way to discuss firearms. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep them smoking,

Gunsmoke.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I was kind of joking about the whole snooping thing.

And to punish me, it looks like it will be monday before my paperwork is done now! See what I get for bad karma? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
After monday a fresh week with great opportunities, challenges and life's enjoyments.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or the teusday-blues! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts