Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody;

A little while ago, Mr. Haggis mentioned to a new forum member that if he chose to, he could just use X's in place of the last two or three digits of his serial number.

As many of you know, I'm no spring chicken and have been accumulating Colt's and other brands of revolvers for many years now. During this time, (at least since I came to the Internet), I've never, ever cared if someone saw the entire serial number of one of my guns.

I see that some people still "x" the numbers out and that's their choice of course. My question though, is can anyone offer a valid reason for not wanting to give out the entire serial number of any of your guns.

Thanks folks, and I find this practice to be very interesting but could never come up with a good reason to use it.

Bud

·
Registered
280 Posts
Matchlock, my only thought on not giving out the whole number would be that some low life could report the gun as being stolen and then it would be a pain in the ass proving that it wasn't and that you was the rightful owner, of course this could only happen if you had bought the gun from in a private transaction

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aaahh, now it makes sense.

Up here in the Cold cold country of Canada we have to register every handgun we buy. Therefore, I suspect there'd be little opportunity for anyone else to claim ownership.

I guess it only pertains to those countries that don't require registration.

Thanks for the reply, and now I know.

Bud

Matchlock, my only thought on not giving out the whole number would be that some low life could report the gun as being stolen and then it would be a pain in the ass proving that it wasn't and that you was the rightful owner, of course this could only happen if you had bought the gun from in a private transaction

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Well I get the internet showing thing, but really they can pretty much know everything anyway, with minimal effort. If you respond to an online ad through email do you think they cannot get the gun information that way? Perhaps if you meet behind an old barn somewhere and send messages back and forth via smoke signals, or campbell soup cans and strings they wont, but otherwise they have access. There is always a scam to be had by someone, somewhere, and if you live your whole life worrying about it you forget to enjoy things, and share that enjoyment with others. Just being on these forums can put a target on you, and identify that you own firearms. An awful lot can be had through an IP addy as well. Meeting someone for a ftf yields them your plate information which also gives people direct access to your info. It's a new world people where nothing is private/safe/secure

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have never had any problem getting a full serial number from someone on this forum for my research. If they don't want it known to the world, they send me a PM. However they want to do it is fine with me.

Buck

Reactions: Matchlock

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
In order to later claim a Gun with a Serial Number was stolen, one has to have a Police or Insurance Report which that Serial Number and some desctripion of the Gun is represented.

These documents would be Dated.

I do not see how anyone could retroactively 'date' such documents, to make a false claim, about a gun they wish to have, which they see on the internet, with it's Serial Number.

Sure, anyone could see a Gun on the Internet and note it's serial number...file a false Police and or Insurance Report about it having just been stolen from them. One could probably even suddenly just discover 'now', that a Gun was stolen or embezzled and not returned, by an 'ex' or someone else, a decade prior, and, maybe, get that into a Police Report.

But, meanwhile, generally, this would not hold up well if push came to shove...unless for a Gun which had no paper trail or presence in a viable Ledger or other representations, of the present and or prior legitimate Owners.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
I had a couple of guns stolen 50 years ago. I doubt that the stolen property records still exist. If I ever saw the serial number of either listed anywhere, I would do all I could to get the gun back. Whether or not I would be successful is one thing, but it would surely cause a great deal of grief to the current possessor of my gun as I try. The current possessor would certainly wish he/she had not posted the complete serial number.

Of course it is silly to think that anyone is watching what we send in emails and post on the internet, so that is certainly not a good reason not to post complete serial numbers. It would be silly to think that anyone would be compiling a list of anyone who owns guns by serial number, etc.. Oh wait ...

·
Premium Member
20,790 Posts
Of course it is silly to think that anyone is watching what we send in emails and post on the internet, so that is certainly not a good reason not to post complete serial numbers. It would be silly to think that anyone would be compiling a list of anyone who owns guns by serial number, etc.. Oh wait ...
ROTGLMAO:bang_wall:What?

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
We have much more to fear and lose and a greater possibility of someone stealing our Social Security number. Now everyone from the cable guy to the insurance salesman has to have our SS number. Once they have your SS number it is available to hundreds of people. At one time the cards had FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND TAX PURPOSES-NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION, but that doesn't mean squat any more. At one time our driver's license number was our SS number, but so much hell was raised they generated a random number that looked like a SS number.

Information on collector guns is a give and take. The more information there is, the more we know about them, and every one is a piece of the puzzle. I would never buy a book with X'd out serial numbers, but believe it or not I have seen a book with the serial number photo-shopped out on a pistol. No explanation, just no serial number. Never figured out what the purpose was to just post a picture with no information.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
This might not be a popular opinion, but it’s simple, really!!!!!! If someone feels so inclined to post the complete serial number, then just do it; if someone prefers not to post the complete serial number for any particular reason, then just don’t do it!!!!!! And, those on each side of the issue should just let it go and stop trying to debate one side or the other in an attempt to validate their opinion!!!!! You see this debate all the time on any forum that has to do with guns in any way, shape, or form!

Just my humble opinion, of course!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Now Old-Colts, you just added to the waste of bandwidth! How the hell you been anyway sir? Miss me on the other side? lol

This might not be a popular opinion, but it’s simple, really!!!!!! If someone feels so inclined to post the complete serial number, then just do it; if someone prefers not to post the complete serial number for any particular reason, then just don’t do it!!!!!! And, each side of the argument should just let it go and stop trying to argue one side or the other in an attempt to validate their opinion; it’s a waste of bandwidth!!!!! You see this argument all the time on any forum that has to do with guns in any way, shape, or form!

Just my humble opinion, of course!!!!!!

·
Registered
Colt 1911 Gold Cups The best ever made
725 Posts
I never show my serial number. I've had to get eBay to delete pictures of my car that a scammer copy/pasted. I don't want dome crook filing an insurance claim on my gun. In GA, no one knows the number except me:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Now Old-Colts, you just added to the waste of bandwidth! How the hell you been anyway sir? Miss me on the other side? lol
It could, and probably has been argued that anything I post is a waste of bandwidth!!! :D

I'm doing fine, how the heck are you doing? Ever find a 1st Generation Single Action you couldn't live without?

As for "the other side"; it just keeps getting stranger!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Nah, always enjoyed your posts.

Doing well, busy with business as usual. Never found one, keep waiting for you to ring me up and tell me you found the perfect one for me :D

The other side was always strange. Still haven't found a welcoming home yet, I guess I'm just too "chaos" for that.

How is the better half? Glad to hear you are doing well. If I have anything more to reply to you with I will pm before I derail the OP's entire thread.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Bud, smokehaus makes a compelling point but I've never worried about it since I retain all legal documents proving my ownership of firearms. And like the Judge, I've had guns stolen many, many years ago. If they ever turn up I have a small measure of hope since I retain even those ownership papers as well. When I display photos of my automobiles via internet channels I don't hide the license plate #'s either for much of the same reasoning. I certainly do not fault anyone, however, for not wanting to disclose the serial numbers in this cantankerous world. :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, agreed, Tony

To each his own I always say and what's good for one isn't necessarily good for someone else.

It's been a very interesting subject for me since here we have "registration" of all handguns.

Thanks to everyone that contributing to this thread. I found all input to be very informative.

Bud

Bud, smokehaus makes a compelling point but I've never worried about it since I retain all legal documents proving my ownership of firearms. And like the Judge, I've had guns stolen many, many years ago. If they ever turn up I have a small measure of hope since I retain even those ownership papers as well. When I display photos of my automobiles via internet channels I don't hide the license plate #'s either for much of the same reasoning. I certainly do not fault anyone, however, for not wanting to disclose the serial numbers in this cantankerous world. :cool:

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
It amuses me when someone uses the XXX for the end of a serial number then posts a photograph of the gun showing the full number! :D

Rio
And then on the flip side, give an XXX number and want to know if there is any information on their pistol in Springfield Research Service records.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
As discussed in other past threads,if you bought a used gun and don't know it's complete history,you may well have a stolen gun-Even if you bought it from a reputable dealer. It doesn't matter that you have a bill of sale ,legal transfer papers etc. it STILL can be a stolen gun. When a dealer buys a gun from anyone they really don't know if its stolen or not-they just buy it and put it back up for sale.
So, if you feel that you would rather NOT be in possesion of a stolen gun, then you might NOT worry about showing the serial number. If someone lays claim to it and it is in fact found to be stolen, then you relinquish it and you are out whatever you paid for it. So you are out the money and the gun -so what- your conscience can be then be clear that you do not have some poor victims gun, that should NOT belong to you.
On the other hand many I'm sure,many would rather have the stolen gun (and not know about it),than loose any money,and the gun.

But, as some say above, if someone can access your persoanl information and address by your posting a serial number then I would not post it either,regardless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts