Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone shooting their's ?

I've sold these in our store for years . Couldn't say how many . Never really paid them much attention . We got in an almost new R-101 series the other day and it was like a light went on . This is a decent gun ! Light weight . Adequate sights with drift adjustable rear . Very short DA pull and light in comparison to the latest DA 22's which require gorilla strength . Just a plain but good serviceable revolver :cool:

Oh yeh , I did buy it :cool:
I'll post a few pics tomorrow .

Any reviews you'd care to share welcomed .

·
Premium Member
9,737 Posts
I do not know how many Forum members have one or how many are shooting theirs, but I got a 3-inch Model R-100 just after they came out in the 1950s. (The retail was $34.95 as I recall, and I got mine wholesale through my folks connections.) I chose it because I could not afford the more expensive Smith & Wesson 2-inch Kit Gun on my meager wages and allowance. (False economy in hindsight!) Still have it. Still a great gun. Loved and still love the nine shot capacity. It took Smith & Wesson decades to finally make a revolver with over six-shot capacity!

I suspect that more members have the later versions (R-104 and up as I remember) with the spring-loaded ejectors. The effect of the lack of a spring-loaded ejector often can be seen by the scars behind the recoil shield! I do not know how much money High Standard saved by eliminated a spring-loaded ejector, but those who forget that the ejector does not retract automatically and try to close the cylinder with the ejector extended probably would have been willing to pay a few more bucks for the feature.

The last Mark III and Mark IV all-steel versions were completely different designs from the earlier alloy R-100 through about R-109 series (I am not sure how high the "R" numbers went), but all are underrated revolvers.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have a JC Higgins model 88 which is made by High Standard and emulates the look of a single action while actually being a 22lr 9 shot double action revolver with aluminum frame. It is very similar to the Sentinel 9 shot. It has a very heavy double action trigger but a decent single action let off. It too lacks the spring return feature on the ejector however the later version of the gun had the spring loaded ejector. Fun gun. I do shoot it and it has box, manual, and holster.

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
:cool:
Thanks for the replies gentlemen . Mine exhibits the "scar" as the Judge mentions .

Photos as promised .

·
Registered
320 Posts
Agree that these are under-appreciated .22 revolvers.

Here are three currently residing in the family collection. From the top - 6" Sentinel R-101, 4" Sentinel Imperial, and 3" Sentinel R-101.

Bill

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was looking at one for a friend. She didn't want it so I ended up buying it myself. For the price a good gun. Pretty accurate, I think it is the R-104 (?==the latest/last one). A nice snubby.

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the rest of the finish . For almost new , probably $175-225 around here .

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Another High Standard - now that you mention it, they were all pretty well made for the price and worked as they said they would.

High Standard made a police shotgun; it was an autoloader with the buttplate attached to the rear of the receiver and a lower with a pistol grip something like an AR15, it was sometime in the 60's. The gun with a 18" bbl was shorter by the length of the buttstock. What was that gun called. Any more details about it?

Here's a pic
Firearm Gun Trigger Rifle Ranged weapon

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another High Standard - now that you mention it, they were all pretty well made for the price and worked as they said they would.

High Standard made a police shotgun; it was an autoloader with the buttplate attached to the rear of the receiver and a lower with a pistol grip something like an AR15, it was sometime in the 60's. The gun with a 18" bbl was shorter by the length of the buttstock. What was that gun called. Any more details about it?

Here's a pic
View attachment 43558
Are you hijacking my thread sir :eek:

HS 12ga 10A/10B ? ... the flashlight seldom worked .

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
My dad bought a Sentinel for me, but I can't recall the year. He had gone to a convention in Kansas City, Missouri, and brought the pistol back on a plane.

It is a R-101 in the 561000 serial number range. Anyone have a list of serial numbers by year?

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts