Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problem using this ammo in a circa 1970 Diamondback.The only 22 ammo I can find at the local Dicks is CCI mini mag or stinger.I have used this in my stainless S&W Model 63 and had difficulty with cartridge ejection.I know this type of 22 ammo wasn't available back in the day so I just want to make sure it's safe to use.When I called Colt customer service to ask about this,they just told me not to use +P ammo in my 22 LR Diamondback,lol.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
It is fine. Smith and wesson .22 revolvers are known to have really tight chambers, all of mine do. My D back 22 does not suffer the same affliction

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Once again, this proves that the people who answer the phone at Colt know almost nothing about Colts! Stop and think how thick the cylinder walls and forcing cone are in a piece of metal that can accommodate a .357 caliber hole safely. The idea that any available .22 caliber cartridge in the .22 caliber version of the same gun could be unsafe is ludicrous

·
Registered
349 Posts
Your Diamondback .22LR revolver is safe and dependable with any US Manufactured cartridgesl in that calibe.
If afraid to use it, I will happily pay the purchase price of your revolver with alacrity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies,I have been buying 22LR whenever I can find it.Still a one box limit on a 100 round box at Dicks.I'm happy I can shoot up those Mini Mags.To Retired Gunsmith,you probably wouldn't want to buy it from me if you knew what I spent on it.It was a bucket list purchase and pristine so $1295 seemed like a better investment then the stock market,lol

·
Premium Member
19,573 Posts
I have a Diamondback in 22 magnum which I shoot from time to time with no problems. Before experts 'jump me,' the gun was one that an engraver at Colt put together back when Colt was planning to make the Diamondback in 22 magnum. They evidently made many barrels that were to be used for that project. I guess the engraver decided to do like Johnny Cash sang in his song about building a Cadillac, one piece at a time. I assume he either 'liberated' a cylinder to go with the barrel or he made one from a 22 LR by reaming it out. Its a great little gun (4" bbl).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts