Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up at a little antique shop in Bridgton Maine yesterday. My Dad has a Mini-14 so I figured why not since it was only $17.00
It was made by Jonathan Ciener. Back when I worked for Bushmaster we used to carry Ciener conversions for AR15s and I think they worked pretty well.
Anyway, it came with two 30 round (?) magazines (loaded :))
For $17 I figured it was worth the gamble. The quality doesn't look exactly awesome but looks like it might work.
Also, my Dads Mini 14 is a 180 series, I know the 181s and later guns were a little different. Will this still work on his?
Heres some pics.

·
Registered
633 Posts
For $17 you cannot go wrong! You scored a home run. The standard kit goes for $150 with a single 30 round mag and the bare mag goes for $50 all by itself.

In my experience, these kits work great. I have one for my AC556 and it will run over 1000 rounds in full auto before any cleaning is required.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For $17 you cannot go wrong! You scored a home run. The standard kit goes for $150 with a single 30 round mag and the bare mag goes for $50 all by itself.

In my experience, these kits work great. I have one for my AC556 and it will run over 1000 rounds in full auto before any cleaning is required.

Thank you. Those are great looking Mini 14s.
This kit works in a full auto gun?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thank you. Those are great looking Mini 14s.
This kit works in a full auto gun?
Take a picture of the other side of the "Operating Rod" and post it. I'll compare it to my semi-only and full-auto capable rods and let you know.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

What do these aluminum pieces do? I must admit I haven't read the instructions very thoroughly and there is no schematic. I know nothing about Mini 14s either.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Congratulations! Your kit will run in full auto mode when installed in an AC556. The giveaway is the double square tits on the inside of your Operating Rod.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what are the aluminum pieces for? I see in this picture from gunbroker one of them is on the operating rod. The other one looks like it is thrown in with the bolt handle. Here's the pic from Gunbroker:

Hohrein.jpg

·
Registered
633 Posts
One of the aluminum pieces goes over the Mini-14's gas port and acts as the base for the conversion unit's recoil spring. The other piece, "Ranch Rifle Adapter", is needed when installing the kit in a Ranch Rifle as there are some minor differences between standard Mini-14's internals and Ranch Rifle's internals.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Nice score Twaits!! next we need a range report!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
I just sold my mini-14 and I miss it already. It was 580 series and I only put 50rds through it. but I needed the money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts