Colt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how common the Pythons with the hollow lug are? I have a 6" made in 1966 with the hollow lug. Did all of the Pythons made in 1950s and early to mid-1960s have the hollow lug? Are the hollow lug guns more valuable?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks A1A, I've actually seen thread before. I know that there is at least one other member of this forum that has a 1966 Python with the hollow lug like mine.

I'm just wondering if all of the Pythons made up till that point (1966) had hollow lugs and they're not really as rare as a lot of folks think. Or did Colt just build hollow lug Pythons sporadically here and there from leftover barrels until the mid 1960s? Dfariswheel posted once that he didn't think that they made them after 1956 or 1957 so this has set me to wondering.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
Just a SWAG on my part, and obviously WRONG.
I have no idea when Colt stopped the hollow lug, but I doubt they were mixing lugged and non-lugged barrels.

Usually, when the parts run out, they run out, and thats that. Then they started using the new parts that were in the production pipe line

They didn't "save" barrels and use them later.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I feel like a complete jerk. I've mentioned at least ten times on this forum about how much I really want a hollow lug Python.

Pulled out my 1963 4" beauty this morning;

Lo and Behold! Q-tip slipped all the way up in there. Sometimes I think my mother raised an idiot.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
With a gun as beautiful as that, you shouldn't feel like a jerk.

What's that somebody once said: The most beautiful things can be found in a place called home. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a Python that seems to date from 1963 (in fact I just listed in the classifieds! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) and it does not have a hollow lug.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts