Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I should say that I wish I had kept the DS that I traded to buy this one, but that's water under the bridge. I currently have a PWL holster for this gun, but find that reaching back on my right hip is a bit difficult because of limited shoulder flexibility (an old guy). I would appreciate comments and suggestions about purchasing a cross-draw holster for concealed carry. Is this a viable option? Any suggestion on a good choice for a leather holster? Would one with a snap strap be a better choice?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,381 Posts
Cross-draw is a very good way to carry as long as you take into account a few things.

First, there is a grab issue. The cross-draw is easier for someone standing in front of you to grab the gun. (Of course, a strong-side can be just as easily grabbed from the rear).

Second, it is usually a little less concealable since it's not back on your waist where your arm naturally covers it.
Some cross-draw users develop the habit of carrying the off arm forward or with the thumb hooked in the belt to cover the gun.

The up sides are, it can be very fast since you can pull the coat open with the off hand as you draw the gun. With strong side carry you have to do both with the same hand.

The gun is easily accessible to either hand.

The gun is MUCH more accessible when seated, especially in a car.

The only reason the cross-draw lost popularity was because of the police grab issue. Prior to that most detectives and off-duty cops carried cross-draw.

Whether you need a safety strap or thumb break is personal preference.
A good holster that's closely molded to the gun or one with an adjustment tension screw really doesn't need it, but it does add a layer of security.

Most any holster made for a Colt Detective Special will fit, the only issue might be the slightly longer barrel.
One issue to consider is the very sharp front of the Magnum Carry muzzle.
My SF-VI was so sharp it cut up the holsters, until I rounded off the sharp edges slightly.

There are still a lot of cross-draw holsters made, so you'll have to do some searching.
Here's a link that has a list of the web sites of most of the holster makers.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28924&highlight=list+holster+makers

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link to that list. I wondered about the muzzle sharpness. Although it is a relatively rare piece, I guess comfort overrides the collectibility if it will be a shooter. I think I will do the same to mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I hope reviving this old thread is considered "good form" .....

Anyway, I have (almost) the same question, and a follow-up (as they say in press conferences).

I will soon have a Magnum Carry, and I'm looking for a holster. OWB (a belt holster), concealable (optional - at least slim), right-hand (not cross-draw). Anticipated use would be mostly in informal action shooting matches, for now.

In this thread and others it has been stated (no doubt correctly) that most holsters for Detective Specials also will fit the Mag Carry.

For such a nice revolver I was considering looking for a very high-quality, custom-made holster. So far, I have not found a high-end maker that specifically molds to the Mag Carry (they all offer DS holsters). Galco, Mitch Rosen, Milt Sparks - no luck so far, contacted them directly and they all were a bit wary as to the fit with Mag Carry. The only maker whose website specifically mentions the Mag Carry is Bell Charter Oak.

Does anyone know a high-quality holster maker that specifically molds for the Mag Carry?

Or, alternatively, does anyone use a Mag Carry in a DS holster, and have specific comments on the fit? If an off-the-shelf DS holster of reasonable quality that works well with the Mag Carry exists, I'd just go with that for now. I don't doubt the accuracy of the general statement that most DS holsters work - but before I ordered something I'd want good, first-hand data on the question.

Any help appreciated. I'm guessing it won't be the last time I have a question about my new revolver. I have learned a lot reading through the threads on this forum - kudos to all the knowledgeable posters here.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could contact Andrews Custom Leather, maybe he would be able to help you? I use his IWB "McDaniel II" models, but have no experience with the others. He used to frequent the gun shows around here, and seems like a top notch guy. My holsters are the best I've ever had...

Andrews Leather Catalog

·
Registered
47 Posts
SSD - thanks. His website is impressive - I have emailed him asking whether he can specifically fit one of his belt holsters for the Mag Carry.

Is your McDaniel II fitted for the Mag Carry?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I pocket carry my Magnum Carry. When I wanted a holster, I took it to a gun show and one of the guys that had a couple of isles full of holsters and he test fitted it and found one that was almost perfect. I forget which model gun it was for, but as I recall it was meant for a slightly longer barrel. After marking it I trimmed off about 1/2" off the bottom with a circular saw and sealed the seam with epoxy using a cotton swap and it looks perfect. Took about 10 minutes and no special skill. It was very inexpensive, like $20 as I recall. Works perfectly.

magnumcarry.jpg

Was looking around for a spare hammer that I wanted to bob to make it better for pocket carry but could never find one. Not going to touch it as these things are worth their weight in Gold now.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Everything "doctor D" said +1. I have carried cross draw for many years while on the job, I like this option of carry very much. I have looked at a lot of cross draw holsters. Lobo Leather makes some really fine holsters for a decent price. Each holster is made for your specific weapon . I have two .357s that I carry, a 2 1/2 inch Python, and a model 19 2 1/2 inch, I will be ordering Lobo holsters for both of these.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
MagCarry,
When I checked out Lobo Holsters they state that they mold each holster to the weapon that it will carry. Check their web site out, they might be able to help you out. Peace.

Blade

·
Registered
160 Posts
SSD - thanks. His website is impressive - I have emailed him asking whether he can specifically fit one of his belt holsters for the Mag Carry.

Is your McDaniel II fitted for the Mag Carry?
My McDaniel II's are for a Glock 27 and an H&K USP-45 Compact. Both work exceptionally well under all conditions. I spoke with Mr. Andrews today by phone- I ordered a Big Jake rig for my SAA. First time we have talked in a while: he doesn't sell at gun shows anymore. He told me that he is indeed able to fit his holsters for the Magnum Carry!

No, I'm not affiliated, just a loyal customer. Haven't touched anything from even Don Hume or Galco in years... I think you'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow - sincere thanks to all here for their input and help.

hotmerc - your answer is noted and will probably guide me if I decide to get a simple holster in addition to or instead of a more expensive custom model

Blademan - thanks for your answer, I'll give Lobo a look (and dammit - the snub Model 19 is actually the REAL top of my current list - - I picked up the Mag Carry truly on an impulse at a local store, and glad I did - now ... can I justify still hunting for a Model 19 2-inch when I have my snub box already checked?? yes, yes, of course I can!)

SSD - thanks, that info on Andrews is mighty helpful, I will probably give them a call on Tuesday.

FlameRed - thanks for your info - I actually have a separate Mag Carry question for you arising from an earlier post of yours, I'll PM you my question. And as for the current market for Mag Carrys, I noted that the only one up on Gunbroker at the moment sits @ $1400+, with a week to go. I bought mine to shoot (actual carry is unlikely, as I live in CA), but it's nice to know I can enjoy the thing for years and probably still sell it off at a good price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In my quest for carry leather I have been fortunate to accumulate lots of gear. I am a bit partial to D frames, and have examples from numerous leather makers.

I use a Lobo Beltslide on a regular basis. Outstanding value. Excellent design. I use this daily while I am patiently waiting for my Del Fatti to arrive.

I also know that FIST builds for the D frames, and specifically the Magnum Carry...I have one that a late model Agent sits in as I write...Very good holster. Quality material and excellent workmanship.

There is a Revolver specific maker in Massachusetts...Bobby Mac...Just Snubs...He has a wait time, but specializes in D Frames and S&W J's. I have one of his DeBethencourt's. You might want to take a look there. If that is something that you like shoot me a P.M. and when I get back into town after the Holiday we can chat. I do not use it.

Good luck regardless.

ks

·
Registered
552 Posts
I wish Colt would start making them again but that is unlikely with all the competition. I liked it so much I picked up a second Magnum Carry years ago when it presented itself NIB for a fair price. As you said they are out of sight price wise these days.

One caution you should think about if you do like me a carry it for SD. If G-d forbid you ever use it most PD will confiscate it as evidence and the sad truth is that in many places (like Kali) you are unlikely to ever get it back. Small price to pay IMHO but it is one thing to lose a $500 J-frame verses one of these ireeplacable honeys.

FlameRed - thanks for your info - I actually have a separate Mag Carry question for you arising from an earlier post of yours, I'll PM you my question. And as for the current market for Mag Carrys, I noted that the only one up on Gunbroker at the moment sits @ $1400+, with a week to go. I bought mine to shoot (actual carry is unlikely, as I live in CA), but it's nice to know I can enjoy the thing for years and probably still sell it off at a goopd price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts