Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a holster that I am hoping someone can tell me about. It's a black, pancake-style, and looks to fit a .38 snub (it has "DET" stamped on the back...maybe for a Detective Special?), and has a logo of "Roy's Leather Goods, Magnolia Arkansas" on the back. Any ideas?

------------------
-Gun control means using both hands-
JR

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
That's not A pancake holster, that's THE original pancake holster. It was made by Roy Baker of Arkansas.

Roy's pancake was the original, and was unique in that it had extra slots so the angle of the gun could be adjusted or even worn crossdraw.
It was probably the first holster to use the now common "pancake" construction, with a flat front and back panel design. This gave it the Pancake name.

It was so concealable and comfortable it has been copied, with some changes, by a number of makers.

He even made them for 6" barreled guns, so that when worn crossdraw, it rode so high, it was nearly like a shoulder holster. This allowed carrying a long barreled gun, without shoulder holster straps, but still well concealed.

For some reason I've never been able to find out, Baker went out of business a few years after his design got popular.
It was so good, just about everybody makes a version of it.

Your holster is for a Colt Detective Special. Most of Roy's holsters were made in lighter colors of tan and brown, so the black one's are probably fairly uncommon.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-02-2003).]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Best part is, I got it pretty much for nothing! My uncle threw it in with a gun I traded him for. Bad part is, that gun didn't fit so I went out and bought me a Detective Special to go in it! (see next post)

------------------
-Gun control means using both hands-
JR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts