Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a good leather holster for my 4" barreled Python. Was thinking of a shoulder holster but maybe something else. I may use it for carry or not but want a good holster. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
41 Posts
What kind of carry under what type of conditions. Shoulder holsters are great for sitting at a desk or riding in a car. Not a Jeep or ATV as the weapon will tap dance a bruise on your rib cage.

Hiking or outdoor climbing and walking a high ride strong side hip holster with a sturdy belt.

Look at what cops wear, they wear guns for a living and their days usually go 12 hrs or more. Their holsters take in the elements of availablity, security, comfort and strength.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm open to suggestions so thanks for the point. I was actually looking at a Bianchi 7L Shadow II. I have something similar for my S&W 66. I'm just not sold on Bianchi though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up going with the Bianchi 7 Shadow II. The 7L was lined and would have taken 30 days. So far I like this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a bianchi shoulder holster for years for my 6" Python. I really don't like how hard it is to pull out of the break open front. I have on order a Galco dual position holster and 1 3/4" fancy stitched belt. I kind of like the concept of being able to wear it strong side, or cross draw if in a vehicle or carrying a rifle when hunting. When wearing it cross draw you eliminate the banging of your rifle stock against your strong side holstered weapon.The belt is in and I expect the holster shortly. I'll let you know how it actually works out.

·
Registered
70 Posts
joed,

Does Penny's Hardware on Palafox Street still have a huge inventory of leather, or have they gotten out of that business?

Bianchi's X15 is something it is easy to have strong feelings about, positive or negative, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out which, if you have a copy in front of you.

Recono

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be curious to hear about the Galco. Some time back I ordered a Bianchi X15 for all my 6" K and N frame revolvers.

This was my first disapplointment with Bianchi. Could they have made the whole thing leather without the nylon strap? Yes, you can order it but it takes 45 days and is very high priced for something that is going to replace a few pieces of nylon. Then too I noticed the guns don't come out easy but I don't mind that to much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
joed,
Haven't forgot about your interest in the Galco I just haven't received it yet. They have sent the belt but may be until the end of the month before I get the holster. They apparently gather orders for a particular style of holster then make a production run. It being for a 6" I'm sure that there are not a lot of requests. I'll keep you posted.
czech45 <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recono:
joed,

Does Penny's Hardware on Palafox Street still have a huge inventory of leather, or have they gotten out of that business?

Bianchi's X15 is something it is easy to have strong feelings about, positive or negative, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out which, if you have a copy in front of you.

Recono
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by czech45 (edited 08-10-2004).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
joed,
I finally got the Galco dual postion phoenix holster for my 6" python. I haven't had a chance to wear it much but I did try it on and it is quite a nice holster. It has a suede lining which I hope helps to protect the royal blue finish of my gun. I haven't tried it cross draw yet but plan to when I get home this weekend. I also bought the fancy stitched matching belt. The whole rig was about $200.00, I've had the gun since 1974 so that not expensive if you pro-rate it at least that's what I told my wife. Good luck in your holster search.
regards,
Czech45
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joed:
I'll be curious to hear about the Galco. Some time back I ordered a Bianchi X15 for all my 6" K and N frame revolvers.

This was my first disapplointment with Bianchi. Could they have made the whole thing leather without the nylon strap? Yes, you can order it but it takes 45 days and is very high priced for something that is going to replace a few pieces of nylon. Then too I noticed the guns don't come out easy but I don't mind that to much.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recono:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they are long gone. And so am I too, now. I moved back to Cleveland, OH recently. FL was OK but there were no jobs that paid decently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just saw this thread. There are more good holsters out there then we used to have, but I still like about any of Sparks leather (http://www.miltsparks.com/). I used an Executive's Companion for a while that worked pretty well.

Delivery has always been about 7 to 8 weeks for me (they often say it'll take up to 8 to 12 weeks), and I really like the confirmation letter they send to you.

------------------
John
Northern CA

"Life brings us both sorrows and joys alike- it is what a man does with them, not what they do to him- that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts