Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I know some makers produce holsters like the "Yaqui" slide that have the barrel of the gun exposed. Barrel length is not an issue, and the front sight should not be an issue either. I have a couple for my autos, but I have seen them made for revolvers as well. Just a suggestion, good luck.

Blade

·
Registered
109 Posts
Falco

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I'm almost finished with one that would work. It's made for a mid-frame Ruger flat-top, which allows a liitle more room than the SAA topstrap but also accommodates a taller front sight. Or I can make you one to order.

Similar to this but in an antique brown color with an open toe and hammer thong.

Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

·
Registered
9,554 Posts
I made this one for a forum member's Sheriff's Model but could also be used for longer guns. That's why the bottom is so wide open. If it's a strong side draw and the holster tips forward a little FBI style, the front sight should clear leather without snagging. That was the same concept "rhmc24" wanted for his New Service snub guns (see link below). The trigger guard AND cylinder are is made tight enough for a good fit.

THIS LINK... http://www.coltforum.com/forums/leather-accessories/67806-new-service-snub-holster-wyatt-burp.html

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Craig,
That looks nice, but I would like something more traditional. I was thinking about a traditional style with a sight groove sewn in?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I suggest a custom maker close to you so he can handle the gun and take any measurements. I have a variety of gun rigs for single actions and each set is custom to the frame size (ie: Colt SAA, Ruger old model, and Model P jr's). Good luck Rob

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wyatt,
That style looks like it would be about perfect for the 3.5" 45 lc N frame I am currently modifying.
I made this one for a forum member's Sheriff's Model but could also be used for longer guns. That's why the bottom is so wide open. If it's a strong side draw and the holster tips forward a little FBI style, the front sight should clear leather without snagging. That was the same concept "rhmc24" wanted for his New Service snub guns (see link below). The trigger guard AND cylinder are is made tight enough for a good fit.

THIS LINK... http://www.coltforum.com/forums/leather-accessories/67806-new-service-snub-holster-wyatt-burp.html

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I suggest a custom maker close to you so he can handle the gun and take any measurements. I have a variety of gun rigs for single actions and each set is custom to the frame size (ie: Colt SAA, Ruger old model, and Model P jr's). Good luck Rob
Thanks for the advice Doc, well stated.

·
Registered
406 Posts
With that front sight, you want it inside the leather. If it is beyond the end of the holster it will hand up every time you draw the gun.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
I recommend getting a custom holster with sight channel as any standard open toe holster that allows the barrel to protrude will hang your gun up upon draw. Another idea is to emulate a Heiser design for the OMT as that elevated front sight mimics your front sight in height. I have a Heiser with sight channel and inside sight "pad" for my OMT that allows for a clean unholstering and holstering without issue.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you guys think a holster designed for a 5.5 new frontier would work? they have pretty high front sights

·
Registered
357 Posts
I know some makers produce holsters like the "Yaqui" slide that have the barrel of the gun exposed. Barrel length is not an issue, and the front sight should not be an issue either. I have a couple for my autos, but I have seen them made for revolvers as well. Just a suggestion, good luck.

Blade
With all due respect, the taller front sight would be an issue with Yaqui slides as the front sight would hang up when drawing..plus, Yaqui slides are made primarily for
1911's, not SAA's!
What you will need is a custom made holster with a sight groove to allow smooth drawing.
Contact Bob Mernickle in Fernley NV..He makes SAA holsters with sight grooves if necessary and will accommodate any custom work done to a SAA in his holster designs
Rick Bachman, Old West Reproductions makes a universal SAA holster that will hold anything and sight height is not an issue.(called a 'Slipper' and is based on an original old west design..very cool)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.