Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it came with it fine but probably won't be adding it later.
This is how Mossberg sells this specific model. I beleive the new 590 comes with the bayonet lug.
Ron

With that heat shield you need a bayonet lug to carry out the look.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I prefer handguns for home defense. The blood splatter isn't as bad and the hole in the wall is much easier to repair.

Reactions: oldedawg and fletre

·
Registered
419 Posts
Two Model 37 Ithaca's. Like the idea of slamfire and bottom ejecting. In the shotgun vs. a handgun debate I favor the shotgun. With a shotgun, what happens in the house will probably stay in the house. No need to get your neighbor involved when an errant handgun round goes bouncing around his living room.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
When I walk around my property at night I turn the laser on on my CCW and let it bounce around as I move about. You say nothing is move intimidating than the sound of a shotgun slide, the laser is the silent but deadly Intimadator!

The sights and sounds of Fear!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Throughout my career I was asked many, many times what I recommended for home defense and my first response was always a 12 ga. pump gun. It's easy to teach novices how to use safely, don't over penetrate, and I can tell you from experience on the street that pointing a shotgun in the direction of an outlaw usually scares the holy crap out of them. And there is no mistaking the sound of a racking pump gun in the night. I have many handguns but a 12 ga Model 870 with a Surefire forearm flashlight is my go-to gun for things that go bump in the night. (They also work wonders on armadillos that come tear up your lawn at night). You have made a good choice for home defense my friend.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I use a 1950's Model 12, ex Minnesota Highway Patrol gun. However, just in case a loved one is near the bad guy on initial contact, my first round in the tube is a slug.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
When I walk around my property at night I turn the laser on on my CCW and let it bounce around as I move about. You say nothing is move intimidating than the sound of a shotgun slide, the laser is the silent but deadly Intimadator!

The sights and sounds of Fear!
The only thing more intimidating I could imagine would be the waving red laser beam attached to a 12 ga pump with the slide being racked...:)

·
Premium Member
4,687 Posts
Since I'm fairly isolated, overpenetration won't be a problem. I was thinking one of these would be nice....

It seems to work well for Homer....

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My Mossberg 500 Tactical is a multi purpose tool for dispatching unwanted critter pests though it would be quite effective in any defensive situation and racking the slide will certainly grab an intruder's attention. It's not the last sound they may hear but it'll certainly be in the top 2.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Inside the home there is nothing that comes close to being as deadly as getting hit with nine 33 cal+ projectiles. I still have bags of several odd buckshot calibers left from my Dad's days. About ten years ago I loaded a hundred shells each of high-brass No.1, and O buckshot, and still have most of them. I like the .32 O, and .30 No.1, because I think that more slightly smaller pellets are even more effective, but this is just my opinion, and obviously I'm in the vast minority as OO buck is so preferred. Superbuck still makes and sells everything, but my guess is that they sell allot more OO than anything else. They sell plated shot in #OOOO (.380)-.500, but there is allot of dead space in those shells, and I think their effectiveness goes down.

On boardings in the Navy shotguns were standard equipment. The narrow p-ways of a ship, and the likelihood of shooting at people who are covered by corners make them ideal. A few guys could hold off a hundred in that environment with shotguns.

·
Registered
111 Posts
870 w/ 00 buck- 14 inch barrel w/ a duck bill attached to the muzzle- rectangle pattern vs. round----oh, no need for surefire fore end- muzzle blast will spit fire and ruin your night vision-:) Not a good HRT weapon- but nothing beats it for sheer devastation of multiple targets.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The two home crime stoppers #1 a shotgun being racked, #2 a laser dot rising from the chest of a perp to directly between the eyes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts