Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use a little help selecting a home defense shotgun and ammo.
Thinking about a 20 gauge.
Mac

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
We don't have any 20 gauges, but I am partial to the Ithaca M37 Deerslayer with a 20 inch barrel. I also like the old Winchester Model 97. I'm not up on what the new gun market has to offer, but there is the Remington 870, as well as a Mossberg or an FN. The FN is based on the Winchester.
A pump or semi-auto?
Armscor markets a budget priced pump that I believe is based on the older Hi-Standard.
A hacksaw has made quite a few shotguns into home defense / riot guns over the years.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I have a 20 gauge Winchester Model 12 (pump) that is just for that use. A shorter barrel (20" or so) would be ideal for your use. You can get both slugs and buckshot in 20 gauge. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Look at what cops have been carrying for years, Ithaca, Remington, Mossberg pumps. Choose the one you're comfortable with and can afford.

Why a 20ga. though? Ammo is much more abundant and you have many more choices in 12ga.

My choice in a fighting shotgun is an Ithaca M-37 Magnum. The ammo is Remington 3" 00 bk, 15 pellets.

100_0383_zpsa31193e1.jpg

·
Registered
787 Posts
We have an old remington 870 with a folding stock, pistol grip and the seal of the delaware state police. It has an 18.50barrel and what i think is an 8 rd tube under the barrel. Had it for 20 years and finally took it to the range and shot 2.75 inch shells in 7, 4 and 00.even with the metal stock at my shoulder it was not unpleasant. I wouldn’t hesitate with a 20 (7/8 oz in a target load) either, but at room distance, I am thinking a light 12 ga load of 6or 7 ( 1 oz game load) is formidable and easy on recoil. I would go with a recognized brand, as said above, be sure its operational and get in osme range time.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Benelli M1 Super 90. The thing is a machine.

I agree...get a 12-gauge. Try the Aquila short rounds...very controllable and far less punishing recoil. I wouldn't try them with a semi-auto shotgun though.

Reactions: prewoodsman

·
Registered
63 Posts
My current closet shotgun is an 20" 870 12ga, but I just purchased a Win 1300 (police trade) 7 shot 12ga. 18" that may be taking its place. I don't think there is any reason to go with 20ga over 12ga. I keep mine loaded 2 rounds of bird shot, then buck. I also think a mossberg cruiser (the pistol grip model) is very maneuverable and loaded with birdshot would make an excellent home shotgun.

·
Registered
11,358 Posts
The local shops can't keep used Mossbergs which they cut to 20" for the customer. Don't use a load that may be as dangerous to your neighbors as an intruder. No. 6 shot is devastating at close range, and won't shoot through your house and the neighbors.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I have an 870 Wingmaster I originally purchased with a 30 inch fixed choke. I later purchased a Rem-Choke barrel for the 870. I had the 30 inch cut to 18.5 inches.

But I am considering a 20 inch barrel threaded for chokes to keep a little tighter pattern.

3 inch ammo in a pump will rock your world when shooting targets. Never felt a thing when shooting deer, hogs or turkeys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I have a Remington 870 in .20 gauge, and a couple Mossbergs in .12 gauge in the safe, but I keep an older Manhatten Arms SS in .12 gauge as my home defense shotgun. I had the barrels cut down and the bead reset, double triggers loaded with standard 2 3/4 inch 00 buck. Another O/U in .12 gauge with short barrels is my second home defense gauge. Extra shells ride on the stock in a shell carrier.

Lou

·
Premium Member
4,412 Posts
Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump. I like the placement of the safety on top of the receiver which puts it right under the thumb (left or right handed). The only accessories I would add are a nice bright light (500 lumens or more) and a cartridge holder. Five round mag tube is enough. Low recoil #4 buck is my preferred load.

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I keep a double barrel ready for home defense, point gun and pull trigger. No worry about short stroking or jamming just boom boom.

·
Registered
339 Posts
This is a Mossbery/Cobray 500A " Rogue". Since it has an 11.75 inch barrel it is classified as "AOW" and transferred with a $5 fee. It's great for tight spaces, is easy to conceal, and fits in the dresser draw next to the bed; however, as a 12 ga it is hardly a fun gun to shoot. It's strictly an up close and personal type of firearm.

IMG_1077.JPG

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I have a Chinese clone used Win. 97 in jail. If it is reliable, I will consider using that.

Often have a short lever gun- loaded with 38 +p out of the safe, for night guard

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
IMO, shotguns are not ideal for home defense. The only redeeming factor is the intimidating sound they make when you rack them, but I prefer something that can be held and fired with one hand. Just imagine trying to open a door or being on the phone with 911 while holding a shotgun in ready position, and you'll see what I mean.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts