Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my Chemicals together for Hot bluing solution. Why am I having such a hard time finding sodium hydroxide (It's just Lye) locally at any hardware store? I remember my Grandmother making laundry soap with it. Also, My grandfather used it to cure his black olives, but it was the food grade. It dosn't mater if its food grade or not, just 100% Lye.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Check out drain cleaners, many made with lye. You might find one pure lye. Cheap enuf to buy a can & do a trial run on scrap.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think you can get it from Amazon, also found that Lowes carries a product called roebic crystal drain opener, their site shows it is 100% sodium hydroxide also known as caustic soda or lye.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I get mine at the industrial/commercial janitorial supply. The one I use here in Phoenix also has the best price on de-ionized water.

Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about Ammonium nitrate, or (Sodium nitrate, and or Potassium nitrate, can be substituted.)
Thanks and hope everyone had a "Happy Thanksgiving".

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sodium or Potassium Nitrate are available at the chemical supply stores. You can get Sodium Hydroxide there too. Ammonium Nitrate will be tougher. You may be able to get it at agriculture wholesalers, but its regulated.

Check the bio diesel plants or suppliers. They use the same stuff.

Dan

·
Registered
895 Posts
Essential Depot Product List

The meth heads ruined it for us.

They use it to manufacture meth and it is now fairly hard to find on shelves in good purity.

The above site gives reasonable prices.

Large food distributors and janitorial companies sometimes carry it but I don't know where you live so I can't give any suggestions.

·
Registered
12,844 Posts
I just used Saltpeter, aka Potassium Nitrate when I blued a couple of mine back in the late 1980s.

It worked beautifully.

Used an old time two Burner Cast Iron Gas Hotplate, a Sheet Steel Box to melt the Saltpeter in, and, had a Thermometer stuck in the melted Saltpeter.

Used some long Tongs and Tweezers to put parts/framed in to or to withdraw them out from the molten 'Soup'.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's the article I followed. Here's the way my New Services turned out.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/20771-custom-new-services.html

This formula produces a LOT of ammonia. I use a half face respirator with ammonia filters, a full face shield, rubber chemical gloves to my elbows and a full rubber chemical apron. I keep the hose on with a spray nozzle. I use two box fans to pull the ammonia out of my garage.

If you get the salts on your skin, hose off immediately. This is extremely caustic and will dissolve your tissue instantly.

I put the water in the pot first. Then I add the lye with a big kitchen spoon, stirring until its all in and dissolved, then I add the ammonium nitrate a big spoonful at a time and wait for it to dissolve and get the ammonia out before adding the next spoonful. Only after the ammonium nitrate is in and dissolved and ammonia dissipated do I turn on the heat. This is an exothermic reaction and will get up to about 180*F on its own. Use distilled or de-ionized water for everything.

There's a lot of info at Ikonboard Message you may have to register to get to it. The link opens for me in a new tab.

I'm sure you know this, but I'm going to reinforce, surface preparation is the most important part of refinishing.

Hope this helps,

Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks retiredgunsmith, I found 100% Lye at Ace Hardware. Now the ammonium nitrate is on my shopping list.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Just a word to the wise. I tried getting that stuff and was unable due to it being controlled by federal regulations. I eventually got a bag of each and had to have a friend who owned a chemical type business and he ordered it through this company. In turn I blued his S&W 44 mag. I looked high and low for it and if available it was regulated they wouldn't sell to me.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Just a point as well I was a police officer at the time and they still questioned it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*I'm getting so frustrated, I feal like the Gov. is consitering me and evey law abiding citizen to be a criminal. This is Bull Shit! Ammonium nitrate is not obtainable anywhere. I can buy a 50lb bag of Sodium Nitrate at a Farm Supply store, I just need 2 1/2 lbs. Why can't i buy a 5Lb bag or box? A local Chemical store will only sell to school districts with school creit card or PO#.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Colt 1911A1, where are you located? With a little more info we may be able to help with a source.

Check that home gunsmithing site I linked to. I have a recollection (never a safe thing) that with Sodium Nitrate you may not need the lye. Just cook it in the Sodium Nitrate.

Dan

1 - 20 of 33 Posts