Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my Chemicals together for Hot bluing solution. Why am I having such a hard time finding sodium hydroxide (It's just Lye) locally at any hardware store? I remember my Grandmother making laundry soap with it. Also, My grandfather used it to cure his black olives, but it was the food grade. It dosn't mater if its food grade or not, just 100% Lye.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about Ammonium nitrate, or (Sodium nitrate, and or Potassium nitrate, can be substituted.)
Thanks and hope everyone had a "Happy Thanksgiving".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
*I'm getting so frustrated, I feal like the Gov. is consitering me and evey law abiding citizen to be a criminal. This is Bull Shit! Ammonium nitrate is not obtainable anywhere. I can buy a 50lb bag of Sodium Nitrate at a Farm Supply store, I just need 2 1/2 lbs. Why can't i buy a 5Lb bag or box? A local Chemical store will only sell to school districts with school creit card or PO#.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Can you believe I found a bag of (AN) in a Model Rocket section at a Hobby and Crafts store (ammonium nitrate to build composite propellant for rocket motors) Crazzzy. It coast $9.89 for 3Lbs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Only in California! Someone I know has a friend that is a butcher, he said that he gets Sodium nitrate all day long. It's the food grade but that doesn't made a difference. I'm on my way to the Meat Locker now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.