Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After just acquiring a Talo Commander in 38 Super in Blued/army green .. the pendulum swung in the other direction to the purty version of 38 Super
The high polished bright stainless with the Colt Custom roll mark.
I was about to talk myself out of it, but Buds had a price drop of about $70 bucks on the last one in stock. Colt disease does not allow such conditions to be ignored.
I don’t know if I can bring myself to shoot it when it arrives, but the ol Ugly booger green and blued Talo is about as enjoyable to shoot as anything can possibly be.

That said, I do see there are several currently listed in gunbroker and the like, so they’ve been out there. Don’t think they come in the custom shop blue box now, just the blue plastic box.

1B576561-11CF-4345-9270-56DE6DD61457.jpeg

·
Banned
345 Posts
Have both, the Super is a nice caliber. You need to shoot all of your guns to make sure they function. I resisted firing the BBS gun. One day I said I need to and it ran awful. Sent it back to Colt and it now runs great. The one thing I like about Colt guns is that they wear very well and in time the trigger gets better and better.

·
Premium Member
all can view my website
2,081 Posts
Here is a very rare Super 38. It is a nickel CS series made in 1970. Very few were made in nickel. There is a good chance you haven't seen one. Until I saw this one, I didn't know they existed. An original box and letter were included. It shipped to Bell's Gun & Sport, Franklin Park, Illinois on May 28, 1970.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Currently I have several .38 Supers, my favorite being a S/S Series 80 I pickup up in 1989 NIB. Since then I have reworked most all of the replaceable parts (I like to tinker) and installed a Bar-Sto barrel. Its a tack driver. Not able to leave well enough alone, I have added a 9mm conversion kit (Wilson barrel + bushing) but have not made time to go to the range for a try out. I expect about the same results with the new rig.

I'm into 1911 conversions, including a S/S .45 with a .22 LR kit and a .400 Cor-Bon barrel swap. Also have a NIB Series 80 (S/S frame w/ Blued steel slide) in .40 S&W.

Am I crazy to think this one might tolerate a 10mm Delta conversion? Anybody tried this before?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Here is a very rare Super 38. It is a CS series made in 1970. Very few were made. There is a good chance you haven't seen one. Until I saw this one, I didn't know they existed....
Here is the 177th CS series Super .38, produced in 1969. Thanks for the info. I didn't know they were that rare.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There are few more versitile handguns than a Super 38 Government Model. Today's models are as accurate and reliable as any pistol in production, in my experience, I would like them finished like the earlier production. My only safe queen is the first Lew Horton El Pres model, I believe the first high polished stainless 38 Super.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts